Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 8.x VRRP

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Aruba 8.x VRRP

Posted Jul 17, 2019 11:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I got two 7205 and no MM here.

How can I deploy two standalone MC in VRRP or HA?

How does the VRRP work in 8.x? Master/Standby?

What difference between 8.x and 6.x in VRRP?

And the license share each-other in 8.x?

I can't find more doc about two-controller without MM

Thank you..

• 2.  RE: Aruba 8.x VRRP

Posted Jul 18, 2019 01:11 AM

Hi,

Pls, find the inline answer for your queries.

1. How can I deploy two standalone MC in VRRP or HA?

Answer: For VRRP you required MM & MC architecture for redundancy.

and we user cluster for Mobility Controller's redundancy and VRRP for Mobility Master redundancy.

2. How does the VRRP work in 8.x? Master/Standby?

Answer:

The VRRP IP is a shared IP address between the primary, and standby MM. Mobility controllers terminating on
    the active MM should point to this IP address. Thus, in the event of a MM outage, they will failover to the standby
    MM.
    You need to set up an IPsec tunnel between the two MMs in order to synchronize the configuration and databases.

VRRP keepalives are periodically transmitted between the MM primary and standby.

Should the primary MM fail, the standby MM will cease to receive these keepalives.
    The standby MM, therefore, knows that the primary MM is unavailable and takes over as the active MM.
    Meanwhile, periodic PAPI keepalives will fail between the MC and the previously active MM before they connect to
    the newly promoted MM. pls, find the small diagram for understanding.

3. What difference between 8.x and 6.x in VRRP?

Answer:  As per MM & MC  architecture only support VRRP for redundancy between two MMs.

4. And the license share each-other in 8.x?

Answer: Apart from VRRP, you have to enable DB synchronization, many important databases will backup including the primary to backup MM.
    If the primary fails, the backup can assume all MM tasks. In that, all licenses also will be synchronized.

Best Regards,

Sureshreddy

• 3.  RE: Aruba 8.x VRRP

Posted Jul 18, 2019 03:08 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply

What you said is with MM, but we don't have it .It just two controller...that What I want to ask...

• 4.  RE: Aruba 8.x VRRP

Posted Jul 18, 2019 03:25 AM

Hi,

MM is a virtual machine and you can run on VMWare or KVM.

And all licenses you can load on MM can be used on MCs which you have. And for if you want redundancy for MCs you can plan for cluster between MCs in AOS8.x. It will provide redundancy for clients and APs and other MC. and it will provide other benefits as well. refer cluster in ARUBA AOS8.x guide.

Best Regards,

Sureshreddy

• 5.  RE: Aruba 8.x VRRP

Posted Jul 18, 2019 04:40 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Is  MM use for free ? How Can I download it ?

If not, We don't have enough to purchase MM actually ..Even though we know that MM had so many advantages...

Thank you..

• 6.  RE: Aruba 8.x VRRP

Posted Jul 18, 2019 06:54 AM

Hi there,

You can download the MM image but ultimately you will need MM llicenses for the deployment.  MM licenses are consumed for every device that talks to it, APs and controllers.

If you are not running an MM, I believe 6.x and 8.x deployments are very similar other then a few added features and different GUI look and feel.  The CLI is almost identical.  You should be able to get through with the 6.x documentation with what you are looking to do.

• 7.  RE: Aruba 8.x VRRP
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 18, 2019 10:09 PM

This has been a popular topic this week. I have to make one correction to Sureshreddy's comments. You can set up two standalone controllers running ArubaOS 8 with VRRP between them. This is essentially the same as running a Master/Master configuration in pre-8 versions of ArubaOS. This configuration operates as an Active/Standby. If you go to the following links, you will find detailed explanations that should help you understand this further.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/OS8-Standalone-7210-controllers/m-p/547886#M92908

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Arubaos8-two-controllers-redundancy-scenario/m-p/547657#M92836

I hope this helps,