Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba ADP in Master-Local

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Aruba ADP in Master-Local

Posted Jun 10, 2015 09:52 AM

Hi all,

we have 2 Aruba3400 (AOS: 6.4.2.6) in Master-Local mode. We have 40 AP installed, configured with static IP an with ADP option for discover Master Controller. We have "centralized-license" ON, the master controller have 32 license and the local 64.

When we reboot the APs we see that some APs have Master IP as "Switch IP", while other ones have Local IP in this parameter. If we reboot again these last APs some go to Master, other goes to Local, apparently randomly. If we disable ADP in  the Local Controller and reboot the APs, every AP set Master as "Switch IP".

Can someone explain me the reasons for this behavior? I expect that with ADP all the APs set  Master IP as their "Switch IP". How ADP works?

Thanks,

Massimo

• 2.  RE: Aruba ADP in Master-Local

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 09:58 AM
    ADP sends out a response to a broadcast. The client could answer either controller.

• 3.  RE: Aruba ADP in Master-Local

Posted Jun 11, 2015 03:18 AM

So, is correct the beahaviour that I saw? I thought that with ADP the APs found the Mater Controller. So probably I am wrong, and I have to set the master IP manually in the AP provisioning.

Thank you Colin!

• 4.  RE: Aruba ADP in Master-Local
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 11, 2015 04:18 AM
    Any controller will answer to ADP. It makes discovery easy when access points are on the same subnet as the controller. The downside is that access points will attach to the first access point that answers. In your situation, it could be either controller. If you want access points to end up on a specific controller, you can separate them I to different ap-groups. In the ap group, there is an ap system profile which has a LMS-IP parameter which determines where an access point is redirected to after it finds an initial controller. If that parameter is configured it does not matter which controller answers an AP first: the ap will be redirected to the IP address of the controller configured in the LMP-IP. Configuring that parameter should be your solution.

• 5.  RE: Aruba ADP in Master-Local

Posted Jun 11, 2015 06:17 AM

Yes, I know the LMS option, but I wanted to understand how ADP works. And now I understand this.

Thank you!