Wireless Access

New Contributor

Aruba AOS8 - AP system location

Hello,

I can't find an option, where to setup AP SNMP system location in AOS 8. I have 7220 "standalone".

I read a user guide 8.4.0.0 in section Configuring an AP using the WebUI and it says in point 9:

9. (Optional) Define the AP name or SNMP location. The AP list section displays current information for an AP, and allows you to define additional parameters for your AP, such as AP Name, SNMP System Location.

BUT I don't know, where to fill in. In provision setup (see attached file) i don't see an option. 

Or am I on wrong page?

Thanks for reply. 

TK

Guru Elite

Re: Aruba AOS8 - AP system location

You are not wrong.  It is no longer there.  I will alert the Technical Publications department to remove it.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
New Contributor

Thanks for reply cjoseph:

so AP SNMP system location is no longer available in AOS8? 

Soooo instead of contacting Technical Publications department. Can you contact programmers, that they give back that option? :-D

Highlighted
Guru Elite

:)

If I had to guess, I think it is gone forever.  Quite a few people were confused by it in the past and few people actually used it.  The name of the AP probably offers the best opportunity to provide the location, and it appears in the list of APs for easy viewing.  The AP System Location only appeared on the provisioning page and the provisioning page was busy enough....

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
New Contributor

So, I figured out that I can config syslocation via CLI:

configure terminal
clear provisioning-ap-list
provision-ap
read-bootinfo ap-name <NAME>
show provisioning-ap-list
copy-provisioning-params ap-name <NAME>
show provisioning-params
syslocation "STRING"
reprovision ap-name <NAME>

Guru Elite

You certainly can, but how do you retrieve them in a way that is convenient without Airwave?

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
New Contributor

We retrieve through zabbix. Then we have our application that display the AP on the map with that information:

In syslocation we have something like this>

XX.4213475N, XX.8992411E; strop vnitrni prostor; Lodenice; Ptacka parc.XXX; XXX 01; MB

GPS; AP location; building name; address; ZIP code; city

It work quiet well.

Guru Elite

That sounds like you have a workable solution.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

As of ArubaOS 8.5.0.3, provisioning an AP's SNMP system location has returned to the GUI:

Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 15.36.34.png

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: