Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP-318 Antennas

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP-318 Antennas

Posted Oct 20, 2019 08:28 AM

Good Afternoon Colleagues

I hope you are doing good . One of my customers request to purchase Aruba AP-318 . This access point comes with no internal antennas but can accept external antennas.

The customer needs the access point to work as Omni so If i purchase this access point and didn't purchase the external antennas , Can i accomplish what the customer needs or Omni antennas is required to be purchased?

Best Regards

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP-318 Antennas

MVP
    Posted Oct 20, 2019 10:17 AM

AP-318 is an AP for a pretty specific environment. Check with your customer what his requirements are first please. Does he need this 'hardened' AP? 

If he really needs that AP then yes, he will need to order additional antenneas. The AP itself comes with 6 RPSMA (4 for 5GHz, 2 for 2.4GHz) connectors only.

Which antenna's you need again depends on the application.

Also make sure he orders the correct mounting options. And verify how he is going to power and/or link up to the AP as it supports both RJ45 as SFP ethernet.

In short, take you time and verify carefully with this AP :)

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP-318 Antennas

Posted Oct 20, 2019 11:19 AM
    Good afternoon Koen
    Thx for your detailed response. I can confirm you that my customer need this access point.

May I know if I can use only one or two antennas or I have to use the six antennas?

Thx in advance.

Best Regards

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP-318 Antennas
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Oct 20, 2019 12:31 PM

Wat exact antenna you get depends on your application.

While connecting 6 individual antennas is possible, you typically would get the antenna to match your radios.

Since the AP is 4x4 5GHz with 2x2 2.4GHz that's what your antennas should support. This could be something like a AP-ANT-40 for example.

Keep in mind antennas need to be mounted aswell and hence might require additional mounting options. 

If you have little experience with the AP and (external) antennas, I would definitely check with your local Aruba representative. Have them double check what you come up with or have them suggest what you need even.

Since it is omnidirectional you need, you might be able to save yourself some headache with some AP with built-in antennas like AP-365 or AP-375. They realy do simplify installation and design typically.

Some additional reading: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00044653en_us.

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP-318 Antennas

Posted Oct 21, 2019 01:53 PM

Thx for your support