Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP 365 not able to get an IP address from DHCP

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP 365 not able to get an IP address from DHCP

Posted Jun 10, 2019 01:17 PM

Hello,

I have multiple Aruba AP's connected to a Juniper EX2300 Access Switch out of which 4 AP's are not getting any IP address at the same time.

Me and my team tried to troubleshoot the DHCP server with its options as well as the IP pool in the AD. The problem is when a laptop is connected to the switch port, it is able to get an IP address, but when the same is connected back to AP, AP is not getting any IP. Wireshark only shows Discover packets.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP 365 not able to get an IP address from DHCP

Posted Jun 11, 2019 12:41 AM

I have previously had some strange issues with EX2300 and Aruba Instant APs. In my case there was an intermittent Junos bug that was impacting half of the ports. If your APs are all at the high numbered end of the switch, try move them to the lower ports (or vice versa).

You mentioned wireshark capture shows the AP sending Discover messages. I would also try packet capture at various places between EX2300 and DHCP server to confirm exactly where it is breaking (verify if DHCP server is actually sending Offer). In the same case above we also saw that the DHCP server and core switch was sending DHCP offer messages back to the APs/clients but then the EX2300 was dropping them.

All of this was fixed with a firmware update by Juniper, so maybe check your EX2300 is on a recent version.

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP 365 not able to get an IP address from DHCP

Posted Jun 11, 2019 05:18 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your response.My problem is with Aruba controller-based  AP's. Sorry thats what I forgot to mention earlier. 

The solution 1 is provided to switch the port to lower numbers is already in place like most of the AP's are already comnnected to switch ports with low interface nos. 

But as you said I will try to isolate the trouble using wireshark and may be then I am able to find where the problem lies or it's actually a firrware bug.

Thanks