Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

Posted Oct 01, 2019 06:42 AM

I am trying to deploy 18 x Aruba 515 ap's in a warehouse but only get 15 meters true signal from the devices.

The warehouse has a couple of racks but nothing significant; the Aruab AP's are replacing some Cisco 2602 AP's which did cover the entire warehouse. I do not understand as the sales person confirmed that this AP has a better range that the Cisco's. What am I doing wrong and what is the actual distance of the Aruba 515 AP.

Please advise.

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2019 08:56 AM

How high do you have the access points mounted,  what is the transmit power and how are you measuring the signal?  Those access points, like all Aruba access points, have  a downtilt omnidirectional antenna.  Please see the presentation here for some warehouse mounting ideas:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/tkb@tkb/92/1/Airheads%20Barcelona%202010%20-%20RF%20Design%20for%20Retail%20Warehousing%20Manufacturing.pdf

Long story short, you should be able to get much more than 15 meters, BUT the access points need to be mounted high enough in the air to acheive that.

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:20 AM

thank you for the information i will defently go through that document is is extremely helpful. What design tool is best to use with the aruba equipment.

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:31 AM

Warehouses are notoriously difficult to design for because of the many variables involved.  Regardless of the design tool, you will have to mount an access point and measure the coverage and do an actual site survey to determine coverage and also measure application performance.  These are not things that a design tool will help you with.  If you have never designed a warehouse before, please hire professional assistance, because there are so many challenges involved.

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:34 AM

Thank you 

I have done a couple of defferent sites before including warehoues; but with Cisco and Extreme Networks never with Aruba

• 6.  RE: Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:38 AM

The principles are the same, but the antenna pattern is different (Cisco vs. Aruba).  The approach to the design should be similar.  The PDF that I linked to shows one way to approach it, but again, that approach could theoretically be used with any manufacturer.

• 7.  RE: Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:41 AM

Thanks brother

As long as I get my hight calculation righ I shold be fine 

• 8.  RE: Aruba AP 515 actual broadcast distance

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:49 AM

Correct.  I have seen the downtilt omnidirectional access points deployed at up to 14 meters with devices still getting good ground coverage.  Feel free to test at that height to see what coverage you get.  Just powering up the access point at 1 meter height will get you significantly less coverage due to the AP pattern, but nobody deploys at 1 meter height.