Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP Channel Assignment

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP Channel Assignment

Posted Sep 29, 2014 06:10 AM

Hi all,

In one of my Aruba installation I have the two APs showned in the picture in the first floor of the building. I see that both the APs are in the same RF Channel, while I expected them were assigned to two different channels because they are positioned next to each other.

Am I wrong???

Could someone explain me why they behave in this way?

Thanks,

Massimo

img01.png

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP Channel Assignment

Posted Sep 29, 2014 09:36 AM
    Under AP Config -> Your AP Group -> RF Management -> expand 802.11a or 802.11g radio profile and look at then Adaptive Radio Management Profile. Make sure you have arm enabled and doing channel and power selection.

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP Channel Assignment

Posted Sep 29, 2014 09:44 AM

The APs are not under Controller, but they are IAP with VC. However I am sure that the ARM is enabled and that is doing channel and power selection, because there are other APs in the floor plan and they are working with different power and channel.

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP Channel Assignment

Posted Sep 29, 2014 12:09 PM
    ARM would look at different variables to determine the channel assignment :
    - signal level (power level) that IAPs can hear each other
    - SNR
    - layer 2 MAC retries

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP Channel Assignment

Posted Sep 29, 2014 05:05 PM
    Ultimately ARM will build a metric to determine the best channel, and for some reason the other channels must have some degrading factor causing it to re-use. You could always go scan the air with some sort of survey tool and see if you notice any background noise happening.