Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Dec 23, 2016 04:47 AM

hi all,

i would like to ask here if somebody have same problem and already solving it or already knew how to solve the problem,

ok let say i have 2 site of building and i already deploy 2 ap outdoor for point to point solution for connecting this 2 site, and i take configuration from http://ase.arubanetworks.com/ for ap outdoor controller based.

and for now , overall the local connection is good, but lets say if site B need internet connection from site A, the connection drop dramatically, and that is requirement, if internet site A drop, site A will take internet from site B, and also otherwise.

And i already deploy iap for this point to point solution, but this become worse, for local connection often intermitten (RTO) and slave controller from site B cant take configuration from master controller on site A, and also AD and clearpass only in site A, so user in site B cant connect to SSID because cant connect to clearpass and AD in site A.

kindly need your advice or help for "how to" deployment ap outdoor point to point solution,

nb : i have 2 access point 277 series and 2 access point 274 series, and i already deploy 277 each site, 274 each site, and combine series but still not working properly

• 2.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 23, 2016 07:51 AM

Can we please have a diagram of your setup?

• 3.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Dec 27, 2016 02:52 AM

here i attach the file of configuration sir.

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Dec 29, 2016 04:45 AM

up up

• 5.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Dec 29, 2016 09:42 PM

is there any best practice or how to config with iap 274 for 2 site sir ?

• 6.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2016 05:39 AM
    I am trying to understand your problem.
    I understand that you have a site to site configuration. In a post above this you mention that site A provides internet to site B, but that site B might provide internet to site a? I have not seen that type of redundancy.
    I was hoping that someone would post that they know about that...

• 7.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Dec 30, 2016 06:16 AM

thanks for response. yes sir, site B also must provide internet to site A if internet in site B down.

last week i try to change the configuration from mesh ap controller base to instant mesh AP, with less client (maybe 10 client) i can download from local server on different site up to 26MB/s , but when the client full (400 client +/-) , the mesh ap intermitten.

can you give me advice for best practice to config iap 274 to 274 because i have tried all the configuration from http://ase.arubanetworks.com/ and http://arubapedia.arubanetworks.com/ but we cant solving it yet.

nb : distance between these 2 site is 110m and no obstacle between them

kindly need your advice sir,

thank you so much

• 8.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 30, 2016 07:03 AM

You have two problems:

1.Multi-site redundancy with multiple uplinks to an ISP.

2. A mesh solution that needs to support 400 users.

Neither solution will be provided via ase.arubanetworks.com

Problem 1 is a network design issue that probably has to be worked out on the wired side, before it is translated to the wireless side.  Maybe someone who has done what you are trying to do on this forum can provide some guidance.

For problem 2, a mesh network might not be the right solution to backhaul traffic for 400 users, especially if the users are also attaching to the mesh radios as clients.  If you divide the bandwidth between mesh devices by the number of users, you would not get very much bandwidth at all....

• 9.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Dec 30, 2016 10:41 AM

so 274 or 277 cant support 400 client ? even with throughput 1,3Gbps at 5Ghz ?

• 10.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 02, 2017 11:03 AM

400 users is too many to carry over a single wireless link. even if it's mesh, there is still a packet per second limitation. Any building with 400 users should be wired in, or you would need to look at a licensed solution where you can license wider channels. 

The only way WiFi will work with that many users is to use VHT80 channel widths, and have 100% clear spectrum with no interference anywhere. 

As for the rest, there is no Aruba solution within WiFi to handle that kind of redundancy solution, you would have to build a seprate routed network over the wifi and let the routers handle the redundancy. Our mesh is L2 only. If you are unsure on how to set that up, you would need to source a local partner who can design it for you.

• 11.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 02, 2017 11:05 AM

Also, 1.3Gbs is the on-air PHY rate, not actual throughput, actual throughput would be in the 500-700Mbps max. Again though, there is also a PPS issue and 400 users exceeds that in most all cases (and if you expect or plan to carry voice and video, then it will 100% not work reliably).

• 12.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Jan 02, 2017 09:48 PM

thanks sir for the response,

"The only way WiFi will work with that many users is to use VHT80 channel widths, and have 100% clear spectrum with no interference anywhere."

is there any "how to" to config iap 274 with vht80 and how can i monitor this ?

kindly need your advice

• 13.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2017 12:45 AM

Searching for IAP and Mesh here should get you more than a dozen links, but here's a few 

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-configure-IAPs-as-Mesh-Portal-and-Point/ta-p/186886

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant-Cloud-Wi-Fi/IAP-277-point-to-point-bridge-configuration/td-p/250094

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-Configure-a-basic-Instant-mesh/ta-p/205027

You will basically bring them both up so that the VC cluster is established, disable the extended SSID, configure the wired interface on the mesh point and portal to provide whatever network L2 config you need, configure the mesh portal's radio for VHT80 on a clean channel (you can use a spectrum tool or a wifi sniffer to see which channels are not in use), and then test in the lab before hanging up the mesh point.

Again, there is nothing we can do with our hardware to provide the redundancy you are looking for, and if both buildings are L2 connected over the wire and wireless (via the mesh/bridge), then you will have a loop, so you will have to put some kind of router or port blocking config on the mesh so that it's only assing wired traffic when the wired link between the buildings is down. If you don't already have a wired link, but require some kind of automatic routing based on ISP presence, again that will have to be handled external to the IAP/mesh link.

All of that said, you will likely not have a 100% stable experience trying to carry 400 wired users over the mesh unless those 400 devices are low network utilizing devices.

• 14.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Jan 03, 2017 05:52 AM
      |   view attached

yes sir, i already tried of 3 link of that,

now for VHT80, i cant make sure it yet is my mesh is already on 5ghz or still on 2,4ghz.

base this capture, must i change the ssid on 2,4ghz ?

• 15.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2017 09:16 AM

IAP will only do mesh on 5Ghz currently. You would have to look at the 5Ghz radio on the mesh portal to know what the 5Ghz radio settings are.

• 16.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

Posted Jan 04, 2017 01:19 AM
      |   view attached

oh i see, so iap mesh will automatically do mesh with 5ghz,

with this capture, how much should i put in the tab dbi at 5ghz antenna gain ?

• 17.  RE: Aruba Access Point for point to point solution

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 04, 2017 01:43 AM

You set that gain value to the value of whatever antenna you are using.

note that if your link distance is close, you will need to lower your radio power so as not to over-drive your receivers. At 110m, you won't need that much radio power to get sufficient link SNR, but if the area is super noisy, you may need to up it. You will have to survey each side of the link to find the cleanest channels and note if the lowest interfernece of the cleanest channel is over 75dB. If it's at -75dB or higher, then you will need to increase the power.