Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

Posted Dec 20, 2017 06:08 PM

Hi experts,

I have a client with a cluster of Instant APs and Aruba Central, and he's experiencing the following problem. He has enabled the Aruba Central splash page for a guest network and has some visitor accounts created. The following image is a part of the configuration of the splash page:

splash.JPG

The problem is when users leave the office for having lunch and go back, sometimes they need to reauthenticate again in the captive portal page, even when MAC caching is enabled as shown above. And sometimes they leave the office and go back, and they reconnect automatically without reauthenticating.

What could be the problem? They always should connect directly without reauthenticating, since MAC caching is enabled, and furthermore the session timeout is very high.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

Posted Dec 21, 2017 09:59 AM

Hi guys,

Any tip? I think I need to configure nothing on the IAPs.

Regards,

Julián

• 3.  RE: Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2019 08:46 AM
    Hi julian, may I ask how did you resolve the issue?

• 4.  RE: Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

Posted Oct 29, 2021 09:49 AM

Hello,

Anybody has found a solution for this problem?

Regards,

Mathias

------------------------------
    Mathias Blum

• 5.  RE: Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2021 10:35 AM
    Have you enabled 'MAC Authentication' on the SSID? And selected 'Cloud Auth' as the authentication server? That would be needed to do the MAC Caching if it is enabled on the splash page.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

Posted Oct 31, 2021 09:47 PM
    Hello

I have set the Session Timeout and enabled the MAC Cashing for a Guest Portal.
    The People who are connecting to the SSID are complaining, that they must reauthenticate every time they leave the SSID and sometimes they must reauthenticate after one houre.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem and didn`t find any guide or same problem.

Regards,

Mathias

• 7.  RE: Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

Posted Oct 31, 2021 10:04 PM
    I cannot enable the MAC Authentication on an SSID with the type: Cloud Guest.

Mathias Blum

• 8.  RE: Aruba Central and MAC Caching problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2021 06:14 AM
    I see now... replicated your setup and it works for me. You should be able to see in the Events (for the client, or the AP, or whatever works) the authentication. One thing that comes up now is, would it be possible that the client is configured for randomized MAC addresses? Normally, clients should not change their MAC for existing/known networks, but it may be an issue to break MAC caching.

If you can't find the solution yourself, please work with your Aruba partner or Aruba support to get the issue troubleshooted.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.