Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Contoller IP Change

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba Contoller IP Change

Posted Mar 03, 2020 01:48 PM

Hi,

I have a project of migration for two Aruba controllers (Master and Standby setup) from one location to another, this migration will require to change the IP addresses and the Hostnames of the two controllers. 

The current setup is having a vrrp on vlan 1 which at the same time represents the controller IP on both controllers. I would like to know what could be the effect of changing the controllers IP on other configuration and how the routing will be done, knowing that there are two subnets as follows:

1- Vlan 1 for controller IP and lms/bck lms IP in the AP-group.

2- vlan 18 which is the default gateway for the traffic.

3- There are two connections between each controller and the core SW

Also, I want to know how the current AP will get the new IP of the master controller after the changes, we are using DNS entry for aruba-master for the current master discovery process and the APs get their IP using a DHCP server. APs have different locations and not in one network.

Appreciate it if one can help me in this regard.  

• 2.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2020 02:02 PM

What version of ArubaOS are you running?

Where do you make configuration changes?

• 3.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

Posted Mar 03, 2020 02:14 PM

Version 6.5.4.6, and changes will be done onsite through console after physically shifting the controllers to the new location. 

• 4.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2020 02:32 PM

That should not be an issue.  In 6.4.5.6, the ip address, subnet mask, default gateway are configured on the individual controller.  You could configure those parameters using the console after the controller is moved to the new site.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

Posted Mar 03, 2020 02:43 PM

my concern is that what other configurations related to the controller IP and Hostname which should be changed also? 

Another thing is that how the AP will get the new IP of the master controller?  knowing that it is getting the IP now through the DNS entry of aruba-master, so that should be changed also to the new IP am I right ?

• 6.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2020 02:48 PM

1.  Figure out how your access points discover the current controller addresses.

2.  Change those after the migration.

3.  If your access points are statically assigned, you would want to change that to a dynamic method, otherwise, you will have to take your access points down and use a console cable.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

Posted Mar 03, 2020 03:39 PM
      |   view attached

Actually this my first time interacting with Aruba products so I don't know much information about it so please excuse me if I am asking silly questions. 

The attached snap is from one AP and it shows the master discovery selection, is it dynamic or static right now?

• 8.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2020 03:58 PM

If there is something in that master ip address field, it is statically pointing to the ip address on that controller when the access point cold boots.  I would (1) configure aruba-master.<yourdomain> to point to your controller (2) reprovision that access point without that ip address and (3) see if it comes back up on that controller, or any controller.  If #3 works, that means you are good to use aruba-master to point access points.  It also means that if you move the controller, you would have to remove the ip address in the "master" field otherwise your APs will not use DNS discovery after you move your controllers.

• 9.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

Posted Mar 03, 2020 04:15 PM

Yes, there is, it is the Virtual IP address of the VRRP group for the two controllers.

ok, I will test and see the results but I already have an entry in the DNS for aruba-master with the same IP address in this field so I was thinking that my APs are taking their master IP through the DNS not statically as you mentioned.

• 10.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 03, 2020 04:21 PM

If an ip address appears in that field, the AP does not do any dns or dhcp discovery.  That ip address is burned into the AP's flash memory and will survive a reboot.  You need to make sure that none of the APs have that ip address, otherwise they will not be able to find the controller(s) after you move them.  The only saving grace would be if the access points are on the same layer 2 subnet as the controller; if that is the case, they can find the controller using a broadcast.

• 11.  RE: Aruba Contoller IP Change

Posted Mar 03, 2020 04:55 PM

ok, that's great and as I mentioned I will test and check the result.

Thank you for your support and I'll let you know the updates. 

Just one thing related to the ap system-profile in which it is configured as per the below :

ap system-profile "APSystem-XYZ"
    lms-ip 10.Y.X.1
    bkup-lms-ip 10.Y.X.4
    lms-preemption
    ap-console-password @@@@@

bkup-passwords #######

The lms and bck lms IP which they match the controller-ip in both the controllers should be changed accordingly am I right? so what would be the effect on the AP knowing that the AP group for which the AP system-profile belongs was not changed as per the below :

ap-group "XYZ"
    virtual-ap "ABC-vap_prof"
    virtual-ap "ABC-MOBILE-vap_prof"
    virtual-ap "ABC-GUEST-vap_prof"
    ap-system-profile "APSystem-XYZ"

the only change is inside the ap system-profile.