Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Controller/AP for Home Network

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Aruba Controller/AP for Home Network

Posted Jun 09, 2016 11:10 AM

I have an Aruba 7005 controller and two IAP205 (which I will convert to campus AP's)  access points that I would like to set up in my home.  I've purchased a modem to hook up to my ISP and would like for the controller to server as my network's router and dhcp server.  I am hoping to have the controller connect directly to the modem, with the AP's and a gigabit switch hanging off the 7005 ports.  The switch will provide access for the other AV, gaming and computer systems on the LAN.  I know this is not your typical setup since Aruba is an enterprise solution, but would this scenario work?  If so, what configurations do I need to be aware, and what is the ideal way of going about this?

• 2.  RE: Aruba Controller/AP for Home Network
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2016 11:13 AM
    Yes, you can.

Create a VLAN for your public connection. Enable DHCP on it and issue "ip
    nat outside". Assign that vlan to the port where you will plug in your
    modem.

On all of your inside VLANs, issue the command "ip nat inside".

• 3.  RE: Aruba Controller/AP for Home Network

Posted Jun 09, 2016 12:54 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.  Should I be applying any specific security to the vlan/port connecting to the modem?  Does this port need to be a trunk port?

• 4.  RE: Aruba Controller/AP for Home Network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2016 12:57 PM
    Access port. You should probably apply a firewall policy to the port to
    limit external access. You'll need to allow DHCP at a bare minimum if you're
    going to apply a policy.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Controller/AP for Home Network

Posted Jun 15, 2016 09:53 AM

@jeffrey28

I know Tim has answered your question, but have a look at this post for an example config to make this work.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Controller-acting-as-Router/m-p/208147#M41372