Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Controller Special Characters

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Aruba Controller Special Characters

Posted Jun 20, 2017 06:32 AM

Hi All,

Recently a pair of Aruba 7210s was installed, which are running alongside a pair of Juniper controllers, providing the same SSIDs to 2 different areas.

On the Aruba Controllers there seem to be certain characters in the WPA PSK that would prevent clients from connecting…the characters are £ ‘ “

The obvious answer would be to change the PSK, but the PSK was already embedded into hundreds of laptops and mobile classrooms equipment, so it would be quite a challenge to change to PSK on all these devices, so if possible I would like to avoid this option.

Kind Regards,

Rieyaad

• 2.  RE: Aruba Controller Special Characters

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2017 06:50 AM

You should go on the commandline of the controller and see exactly what is stored:

encrypt disable

show wlan ssid-profile <ssid profile>

• 3.  RE: Aruba Controller Special Characters

Posted Jun 20, 2017 07:13 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the response.

Can you explain what I am looking for?

Kind Regards,

• 4.  RE: Aruba Controller Special Characters

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2017 07:19 AM

You are looking for the WPA passphrase to see how the PSK is stored to see if your key was accepted properly.  It seems like the special characters (not accepted for a PSK) are:

+\"$&`<>?'

• 5.  RE: Aruba Controller Special Characters

Posted Jun 21, 2017 02:24 AM

Hi Colin,

Besides changing my passphrase, is there another way the controller will accept my passphrase or is the only way around this issue is to change the passphrase?

• 6.  RE: Aruba Controller Special Characters

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 02:38 AM

Unfortunately you will have to change the passphrase.  You could also take the opportunity to migrate to 802.1x where each user instead inputs their own username and password for access to the network.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Controller Special Characters

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2017 07:23 AM

@Rieyaad wrote:

Hi All,

Recently a pair of Aruba 7210s was installed, which are running alongside a pair of Juniper controllers, providing the same SSIDs to 2 different areas.

On the Aruba Controllers there seem to be certain characters in the WPA PSK that would prevent clients from connecting…the characters are £ ‘ “

The obvious answer would be to change the PSK, but the PSK was already embedded into hundreds of laptops and mobile classrooms equipment, so it would be quite a challenge to change to PSK on all these devices, so if possible I would like to avoid this option.

Kind Regards,

Rieyaad

When you say "I would like to avoid this option", what do you mean?