Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba IAP 315 - new deployment

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba IAP 315 - new deployment

Posted Sep 12, 2018 11:20 AM

I will be deploying 31 new Aruba 315 IAPs at a facility.  I have 3 questions:

1) Does anyone know if IAPs are shipping with the new 8.x code yet?  Is this a request that can be done through the supplier?

2) Assuming they are not and they all come with 6.x, any reason to not upgrade to 8.x when I get them all online?

3) Regarding a mass upgrade to the 31 IAP's (whether it's to the latest 6.x release or a major upgrade to 8.x), what is the process to upgrade all the AP's in the cluster?  Is the upgrade performed through the VC in one fell swoop or do I have to log into each AP individually to check the Maintenance>Automatic>Check for New Version checkbox?

Side Note: I do not have AirWave or ClearPass

• 2.  RE: Aruba IAP 315 - new deployment
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2018 12:37 PM

@redxiii wrote:

1) Does anyone know if IAPs are shipping with the new 8.x code yet?  Is this a request that can be done through the supplier?

I expect IAP-315s will be shipping with a version of 6.x code, since 8.3 has not yet reached Conservative Release status.

@redxiii wrote:

2) Assuming they are not and they all come with 6.x, any reason to not upgrade to 8.x when I get them all online?

If you require a version of code that has been labeled Conservative Release, then staying with 6.x is your option. If you anticipate adding APs to the cluster in the future that require 8.3, then starting on that version will possibly save an upgrade step in the future.

@redxiii wrote:

3) Regarding a mass upgrade to the 31 IAP's (whether it's to the latest 6.x release or a major upgrade to 8.x), what is the process to upgrade all the AP's in the cluster?  Is the upgrade performed through the VC in one fell swoop or do I have to log into each AP individually to check the Maintenance>Automatic>Check for New Version checkbox?

Since all APs in the cluster are the same model (IAP-315 in this case), they can all download their firmware from the Virtual Controller. The cluster can be formed first, and then upgraded as a whole using the method you mentioned above (assuming the IAPs have Internet access).