Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Master Controller Couldnt Distribute DHCP Properly

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba Master Controller Couldnt Distribute DHCP Properly

Posted Jun 08, 2018 04:05 AM

Hi All

My name is darcy, currently i got and error with my master controller Aruba7010, sometimes it cannot distribute dhcp properly on wpa2-psk and 802.1x authentication, currently i have 4 controller with 1 as master and 3 as local controller, 4 of them are put in 2 different site, which have 2 different ip segment for dhcp distribution, sometimes when master controller error, site a can have ip from site b, any suggestion where i can start to troubleshoot? Thanks for ur advance

• 2.  RE: Aruba Master Controller Couldnt Distribute DHCP Properly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2018 04:25 AM

Darcy,

We will need a topology diagram to know what is going on.

When did this start happening?

Are you having a problem with a specific controller?

What is your DHCP server?

Are clients being given dhcp using a ip helper-address?

• 3.  RE: Aruba Master Controller Couldnt Distribute DHCP Properly

Posted Jun 08, 2018 05:13 AM

Hi Joseph

currently my network be like, AP Connected to switch, then controller attached to switch, with 1 master license on site a,

- yes the problem is when the client handling is given to master controller, it cant distribute dhcp so my client cant connect?

- Currently i using windows server for dhcp server.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Master Controller Couldnt Distribute DHCP Properly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2018 05:27 AM

The user gets DHCP through the user VLAN on the controller.  Find out what user VLAN your SSID is tied to by typing "show ap essid" on the controller.

Next, you need to find out what port(s) that VLAN is connected to by typing "show vlan status".

If the DHCP server is not on the same VLAN as the user, you need to configure the controller with a helper address on that VLAN that forwards dhcp broadcasts to the DHCP server:

config t

interface vlan (vlan number of user vlan)

ip helper-address <ip address of dhcp server>

If the dhcp server and the users are on the DHCP VLAN, should just work.

Has this ever worked, or is this a new WLAN?

• 5.  RE: Aruba Master Controller Couldnt Distribute DHCP Properly

Posted Jun 08, 2018 05:51 AM

yap its worked before, the dhcp server in different vlan. going to check it.. thanks

• 6.  RE: Aruba Master Controller Couldnt Distribute DHCP Properly

Posted Jun 08, 2018 05:33 AM

HI,

AP termination, user authentication, and policy enforcement are performed by local controllers (not by the master). Hence, local controller redundancy should be performed so that the client handling is done by the backup local controller in case of a failure

Kevin