Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

Posted Jan 11, 2019 04:48 AM

Hello Team,

Based on the Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation guide we need seperate vmnic for the traffic is any specific reason for that ?

If we have one vmnic that is 10G can we do 3 virtual or 1 virtual if the 10G interface is enough ?

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 05:04 AM

They both only require a single interface.  A second interface is an option, but not necessary.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

Posted Jan 11, 2019 05:14 AM

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response, the why for the 

MC-VA-32 in the installation quide requires 3 data ports, 1 mgmt port ? 

and also in the screenshots it installs 3 physical vmnic ?

Also please clarify the one you say it need must be dedicated physical vmnic or can be a shared vmnic and just create a virtual for the VM ?

Thank you

• 4.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 05:20 AM

Please provide a link to the Installation guide you are referring to and the page so I can take a look.

• 5.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

Posted Jan 11, 2019 05:23 AM

Hello,

Here it is :

https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Default.aspx?EntryId=32542

The below guide:

ArubaOS 8.3.0.0_Virtual Appliance Installation Guide.pdf

Thank you

• 6.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:04 AM

The three separate vmnics are used just as an example but are not required. 

The virtual network interfaces (1 mgmt and 3 data) are created by default and should be left there, do not delete them. You can disable them and just use network adapater 2 as your gig0/0/0 (mapping is network adapter 1 = mgmt, network adapter 2-4 = gig0/0/0-2, respectively). 

• 7.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:42 AM

Hello Jerrod,

Thank you for your answer, it has been very clear now but one more question as i am new in the VM enviroment.

It is requirement to have dedicated vmnic per  VMM and dedicated per VMC mashine ?

Can i have shared vmnic with other VM's (servers) ? or at least one vmnic for all my mobility VM's ?

Thank you.

• 8.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2019 03:14 PM

While you could if you need to, most people run multiple VMs out of a single interface and vSwitch. So you can share away, I have four MMs and four VMCs all coming out of the same VMNIC and vSwitch on my hypervisor. Just ensure promisuous mode and forget transmits are enabled. 

• 9.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

Posted Feb 04, 2019 03:21 AM

Hello Jerrod,

Based on "Virtual Appliance Installation Guide" on page 59 there is a note that says "If a single port is used in ArubaOS, Promiscuous Mode
    need not be enabled."  and as i will only use ge-0/0/0 (in MM and MC) means that i dont need promiscuous mode enable but i still need the Forged transmits right ?

Thank you

• 10.  RE: Aruba Mobility Master and VMC installation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2019 04:25 PM

So this is my advice on this topic. I *ALWAYS* recommend promiscuous mode (though I do limit promiscuous mode to a dedicated port-group within the vSwitch and the vSwitch is disabled by default). I have seen too many weird things in regard to datapath when promiscuous mode was disabled. 

You can do what you like, but if you see oddities, enable promiscuous mode first, then contact TAC.