Wireless Access

Highlighted
New Contributor

Aruba Multicast DMO Limitations

I am currently using a 7010 controller and a AP-325 to make a local video streaming service. The video source I have puts out it's stream in multicast at 5mbps. I have configured the Aruba 7010 to enable DMO and I followed the user guide to implement the other related settings.

However when I hit around 25 active clients receiving the stream the performance tanks and the video playback becomes very poor. Adding a second AP fixes the issue and allows more clients but one of the requirements of this project is to support about 35 clients on one AP. The aggregate bandwidth is much lower than the stated specs of the AP-325.

I can support many more than 30 clients using a streaming protocol managed by a separate server. But when relying on the Aruba 7010 to perform DMO it seems severely limited. The CPU and memory usage of the controller and the APs is quite low even as frames are dropping.

I appreciate any insight you could provide. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Aruba Multicast DMO Limitations

What value is the DMO threshold set to?

Does performance improve if you disable DMO? 

Highlighted
New Contributor

I've experimented with different values for the threshold. Too low and the problem gets worse as expected but even at maximum it can't seem to handle more than 25 users.

With DMO off multicast streaming basically unusable for all but a very small number of clients.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Highlighted

What is the minimum data rate configured for you SSID?

This seems to match with the problem you're experiencing. DMO attempts to take L3 multicast streams and converts them to wireless unicast until a threshold is reached where the airtime for multiple unicasts exceeds simply using a wireless multicast. If your data rate is too low for the multicast stream (I believe you said the stream is 5Mbps before), then this will cause a problem ... sending a 5Mbps stream on a 1 or 2 Mbps data rate isn't enough bandwidth. 

@dottaviano wrote:

I've experimented with different values for the threshold. Too low and the problem gets worse as expected but even at maximum it can't seem to handle more than 25 users.

With DMO off multicast streaming basically unusable for all but a very small number of clients.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
Highlighted
New Contributor

You might get some mileage out of disabling DMO and then enabling 'BC/MC Rate Optimization' on the SSID profile. This will send multicast at the highest enabled basic rate, 24Mbps by default. Or as suggested above disable the lower data rates to force higher rates.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: