Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Re: Aruba OS 6.4 and Google Chromecast

cjoseph, I agree. And we all understand that these are consumer products and are willing to be patient while the bugs are found and addressed. On the other hand, these are extremely powerful tools that can't seem to be matched in the enterprise. We have an Apple TV in each classroom. What tool made for the enterprise can do what an Apple TV can do, in regards to full screen mirroring, as well as applications? I can't think of any.

We're on Spring break right now and it's a perfect time to dive into this. Apple TV use through Airgroup has been getting more reliable with each release. We're not even looking into implementing Chromecast devices in the classroom but we do have Faculty and Students living on campus. And for them, these things need to work.

New Contributor

Any updates on this?

I have 3 IAP-103's with Virtual Controller setup. 2 of the chromcast are less than 5 feet from the AP. and roughly 30-60' from the other 2 AP's. But they keep randomly switching to further AP's at which time the dissapper. Plus the Role randomly switches from the SSID name to Unknown 105. 

We've tried both iphones, android phones, tablets and a mac laptop and still have inconsistent results. With a system reboot, all the chromecast show up great for a few hours, then they start not showing up as options anymore. They do however always show connected to an AP, just don't show up as a stream to option. 

Guru Elite

Cory,

If you have a Chromecast that keep switching from access point to access point you should:

1 - Make sure that the MAX TX power in the ARM profile on the IAP VC is no more than 18.  While you are at it, change the Min TX power to 12 or below.  Clients will bounce from access point to access point if the access point power is more than the client's output power.

2 - Turn off ClientMatch on the IAP, because that could exacerbate things if issue #1 exists

3 - Test to see if things improve

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor II

Like Cory, I am having an issue where my Chromecast(s) disappear from being an AirGroup server, I don't have any wireless connectivity issues with my Chromecast(s). I am running 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.8_50989 on an IAP-205.

I have "Enable Bonjour" checked and the following Airgroup Services checked: airplay, itunes, googlecast. Running "show airgroup status" in the shell confirms that these services are enabled.

My SSID has broadcast filtering set to "ARP".

The Chromecast will appear as an Airgroup server when it is first turned on but it sits idle for 20+ minutes, it disappears as an Airgroup server and never returns again unless I reboot the Chromecast. When it is listed as an airgroup server, everything works great within the VLAN and between VLANs, however, when it isn't listed, it doesn't work at all.

I have an Apple Airport Express on the wired network with airplay enabled and it always listed as an Airgroup server and it always works.

One difference I noticed between the airplay and googlecast services is the Airgroup cache for the Airport Express is constantly being updated whereas with the Chromecast the cache is never updated.

I notice that the IAP doesn't have the "active-wireless-discovery" option for the Airgroup cache, is that because it is always enabled now? Or is it not included in the IAP? It sounds like it might help with my issue.

As a side, if I turn off Airgroup, and change my SSID broadcast filtering to disabled, the Chromecast(s) work all the time within the VLAN.

Thanks,

Scott.

Guru Elite

Scott83,

On the commandline of the controller, you should type "show airgroup blocked-service-id" to see if your chromecast is sending service ids that have not been added to the Chromecast service.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

Please upgrade to 6.4.3. These issues are resolved.

Thanks,
Tim

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

@Colin

There are 7 things listed there, 3 of which reference googlecast.

@Tim

Is 6.4.3 available for the IAP-205? Other posts I've read seem to indicate that it was still beta for the IAP.

Thanks guys,

Scott.

Guru Elite

Scott,

Please use the instructions here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/Services/AirGroup/Configuring_AirGroup_on_.htm?Highlight=airgroup to ensure that the Chromecast service is enabled.  If it is, add the 3 lines you see on the blocked service IDs to the ChromeCast Service.  After you add them, make sure they are no longer blocked.  See if that fixes your issue.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted

Hey Colin,

Thanks for the instructions but it won't allow me to add the blocked service IDs, they are:

_\037f8012bb2514bb5f7025f4c2741dc003016a32235._sub._googlecast._tcp
_\037b5c891634da02b05588c11e9ebefc2616a1b6193._sub._googlecast._tcp
_\0379e5e7c8f47989526c9bcd95d24084f6f0b27c5ed._sub._googlecast._tcp

I can't edit the googlecast service in the UI so from the console I:

# config t
(config) # airgroupservice googlecast
(airgroup-service) # id _\037f8012bb2514bb5f7025f4c2741dc003016a32235._sub._googlecast._tcp
(airgroup-service) # id _\037b5c891634da02b05588c11e9ebefc2616a1b6193._sub._googlecast._tcp
(airgroup-service) # id _\0379e5e7c8f47989526c9bcd95d24084f6f0b27c5ed._sub._googlecast._tcp
(airgroup-service) # end
# commit apply
commiting configuration...

could not add this id.
#

I tried adding them to a new service called called Chromecast in the UI but it tells me they are invalid. Now I can see why it probably isn't working, it deems those IDs invalid.

Thanks,

Scott.

Guru Elite

Scott83,

EDIT:

Scott, Do you have DLNA enabled on the Airgroup Discovery Tab?

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: