Occasional Contributor II

Re: Aruba OS 6.4 and Google Chromecast

Colin,

I do not, should I enable it?

Thanks,

Scott.

Guru Elite

Chromecast is DLNA traffic, so yes, you should enable it.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Contributor II

Any idea when 6.4.3 might go GA?  I'd prefer not to run ED code on my production network, but I'm starting to get the students with Chromecasts lining up at the helpdesk.

Guru Elite

Not sure about GA, but It's very stable.

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Contributor II

Can you think of any other drivers to push me from 6.4.2.12 to 6.4.3?
Guru Elite

That's really the only thing I can think of for a university environment.

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

@cjoseph wrote:

Chromecast is DLNA traffic, so yes, you should enable it.

Hey Colin,

I enabled DLNA and the DLNA Media airgroup service, still no luck.

Thanks,

Scott.

To follow up, I upgraded to 6.4.4.3-4.2.2.0_53034 the other day and my Chromecast(s) finally work with Airgroup and my android devices! I no longer have the blocked service ID's and they actually appear in the cache now.

But now I have a new issue, if I have Airgroup enabled, my iPad no longer works with the Chromecast! I guess you can't win them all! It would appear that some apps in iOS still use DIAL discovery (as opposed to mdns) and the DIAL part doesn't appear to be working for me. The iPad does see the Chromecast in the 'Google Cast' app but the 'cast' icon won't appear in any apps unless I turn off Airgroup and disable the AP broadcast filtering. Even if I have Airgroup on and broadcast filtering off, it still doesn't work. There do not appear to be any blocked service ID's.

I guess that's why iOS should stick with airplay and android with google cast!

Thanks for your previous efforts Colin!

Occasional Contributor I

I just completed a residential IAP-205 install and came across the Chromecast issue.

Regardless of the airgroup settings, we had to disable 802.11k/v/r roaming.  Only then would the Chromecast attach to the network.

Interesting, I have 802.11k/v (not 802.11r) enabled on the SSID that my Chromecasts connect to and all 3 seem to work fine with it.

Friendly suggestion, I made two SSID's tagged to the same vlan, one with 802.11k/v enabled (SSID = mywifi), and a second one with 802.11k/v/r enabled (SSID = mywifi-FT).

I connect all my non-mobile devices (chromecasts, smart thermostats, etc.) and all those devices that do not support 802.11r to 'mywifi'. And then I connect our android phones and ipad to 'mywifi-FT' because they are mobile and support 802.11r. It works quite well.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: