Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Apr 05, 2017 12:19 PM

I have stood up a mobility master and mobility controller VM's. The mobility master has a valid license just fine. On the mobility master I can see the Mobility Controller....however, the license key generated for the Mobility Controller doesn't seem to be working. I get "Failed to decrypt key" when I enter the license key. 

Anyone have any idea/suggestions? I wanted to ask the community first before opening a case with TAC. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Apr 05, 2017 02:35 PM
    Make sure there's no spaces

Get Outlook for iOS

• 3.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted May 29, 2017 10:35 AM

I am having the similar errors installing my VMC license on my VMM web admin app.   see the details here:

License key:xxxxxxx
    Registration ID:xxxx
    Product number:JY904AAE
    Product name:Aruba MC-VA-1K (US) Cntlr 1K AP E-LTU
    Quantity:1
    PassPhrase:xxxx ( from my VMM)

is this the correct product name for VMC license in a VMM?

I can confirm i used the pass-phrase from my VMM creating the VMC key. i know the passphrase works ok sicne the PEFNG, RFP and AP licenses installed on the VMM using the same VMM passphrase. 

if I try instaliing they key on the VMM in the MM->configuration->system->licensing->mobility master licenses I get the error:

"Adding non-centralized license is disallowed on SC.”

if I try instaliing they key on the VMM in the MM->configuration->system->licensing->controller licenses: (drill down and I select the VMC), I get the error: "Failed to decrypt key”

I am sure there are no spaces in the key.

PS, i tried on the CLI of the VMM and the VMC and got the same errors.

Please assist.  Thank you.

Neal

• 4.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted May 30, 2017 03:09 AM

Hey Guys.... please look into this issue.... I belive the eval licensing no longer worked for MM/VMC's 8.0.1.1.    I was able to install licenses for 8.1, VMM, MM/VMC, AP, PEFNG, RFP with no issues, but on 8.0.1.1, VMM, AP, PEFNG, RFP install ok, but the MM/VMC license will not install.  I generated a correct license using the passphrase from the VMM, but the MM/VMC license fails with the "Adding non-centralized license is disallowed on SC.” message.    Exact same generation/install procuedures worked on 8.1.   Can someone at Aruba licensing support acknowledge/confirm this issue... and possibly fix it.   I wanted to create an eval environment for 8.0.1.1 for education reasons as us instructors have to deal with 8.0.1.1 in the class room still.  Thank you

Neal

• 5.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 19, 2017 03:55 PM

Neal, 

Did you ever find a resolution? I am having the same issue. 

Gary

• 6.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 04:05 PM

There was a change in MC-VA licenses from 8.0.x (which were NOT region locked pre regulatory requirements while we got all the certs in place) and 8.1 which requires region locked MC-VA licenses (US/RW/IL/JP/EG, etc). So any of the licenses generated now for 8.0.1 won't work as 8.0.1 doesn't have the necessary decoders to 'understand' region locked MC-VA SKUs. I don't think there is a way to generate non-region locked MC-VA, but for evals since any MC-VA licenses defaulted to RW, you might try the MC-VA-RW on 8.0.1.1 MM and see if that works. 

• 7.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 19, 2017 04:19 PM

Thanks, but I'm still having an issue that the APs won't grab a license. 

VMC:

AP Database
    -----------
    Name      Group    AP Type  IP Address     Status     Flags  Switch IP     Standby IP
    ----      -----    -------  ----------     ------     -----  ---------     ----------
    LabAP  default  205      10.129.32.170  Up 5m:14s  2IL    10.129.34.97  0.0.0.0
    (VMC) #show license-usage ap

AP Licenses
    -----------
    Type                      Number
    ----                      ------
    AP Licenses               32
    RF Protect Licenses       0
    PEF Licenses              32
    MM Licenses               32
    MC-VA Licenses            32
    MC-VA country             US(Ter: US)
    Controller License        True
    Overall AP License Limit  0

AP Usage
    --------
    Type             Count
    ----             -----
    Active CAPs      0
    Active RAPs      0
    Remote-node APs  0
    Tunneled nodes   0
    Total APs        0

Remaining AP Capacity
    ---------------------
    Type  Number
    ----  ------
    CAPs  0
    RAPs  0
    (-VMC) #show license

License Table
    -------------
    Key                                                                                   Installed               Expires(Grace period expiry)  Flags  Service Type
    ---                                                                                   ---------               ----------------------------  -----  ------------
    xxxxxxx  2017-06-19 10:21:26[1]  2017-07-19 10:21:26            ED    MC-VA-RW: 1000

License Entries: 1

Flags: A - auto-generated; E - enabled; S - Subscription; R - reboot/activation key required to activate; D - Not enabled on license client

Note: Time under 'Installed' for Subscription licenses is the license generation time.

Mobility Master:

(ArubaMM) ^[mynode] #show license-usage ap

AP Licenses
    -----------
    Type                      Number
    ----                      ------
    AP Licenses               499
    RF Protect Licenses       0
    PEF Licenses              499
    MM Licenses               50
    MC-VA Licenses            499
    MC-VA country             US(Ter: US)
    Controller License        True
    Overall AP License Limit  0

AP Usage [Note: THIS CONTROLLER DOES NOT TERMINATE ANY AP]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Type             Count
    ----             -----
    Active CAPs      0
    Active RAPs      0
    Remote-node APs  0
    Tunneled nodes   0
    Total APs        0

Remaining AP Capacity
    ---------------------
    Type  Number
    ----  ------
    CAPs  0
    RAPs  0
    (ArubaMM) ^[mynode] #show license

License Table
    -------------
    Key                                                                                   Installed               Expires(Grace period expiry)  Flags  Service Type
    ---                                                                                   ---------               ----------------------------  -----  ------------
    xxxxx 2017-06-19 09:48:24[1]  2017-07-19 09:48:24            E     MM-VA: 50
    xxxxx  2017-06-19 10:37:51[1]  2017-07-19 10:37:51            E     Access Points: 2048
    xxxxx  2017-06-19 10:38:50[1]  2017-07-19 10:38:50            E     Next Generation Policy Enforcement Firewall Module: 2048
    xxxxx  2017-06-19 11:48:46[1]  2017-07-19 11:48:46            E     MC-VA-US: 1000

License Entries: 4

Flags: A - auto-generated; E - enabled; S - Subscription; R - reboot/activation key required to activate; D - Not enabled on license client

Note: Time under 'Installed' for Subscription licenses is the license generation time.

Am I missing a license? Every time I try to install a license on my VMC, I get an error "Adding centralized license is disallowed on local controller. Please install on Master controller." 

I only have 1 controller and 1 mobility master. 

• 8.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 04:58 PM

If the VMC is tied to the MM (ala if the VMC is a managed node of the VMM) then you will not add any licenses to the VMC directly, everything MUST come from the VMM. 

Questions:

• Is your VMC showing up as a node on your VMM? If so, do a 'show switches' on your MM.
    • On your VMC, run 'show country'. I am wondering if your VMC is configured as RW, since there's an MC-VA-RW on yoru VMC

Lets get the output from your VMM "show switches" and from your VMC "show country".

• 9.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 19, 2017 05:00 PM

Thanks for the reply! 

The MC shows up as US and managed: 

(VMC) #show switches

All Switches
    ------------
    IP Address    IPv6 Address  Name        Location          Type  Model       Version        Status  Configuration State  Config Sync Time (sec)  Config ID
    ----------    ------------  ----        --------          ----  -----       -------        ------  -------------------  ----------------------  ---------
    10.129.34.97  None          VMC  Building1.floor1  MD    ArubaMC-VA  8.1.0.1_59688  up      UPDATE SUCCESSFUL    10                      20

Total Switches:1
    (VMC) #show country

Model:ArubaMC-VA-US
    Regulatory Domain:Restricted US

• 10.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2017 05:27 PM

What does the MM show from 'show switches'? You may want to open a TAC case to get them to look at your logs, etc. 

• 11.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 20, 2017 07:34 AM

Here is sh switches from the Mobility Master: 

Total Switches:2
    (OptLab-ArubaMM) [mynode] #show switches

All Switches
    ------------
    IP Address    IPv6 Address  Name            Location          Type    Model       Version        Status  Configuration State  Config Sync Time (sec)  Config ID
    ----------    ------------  ----            --------          ----    -----       -------        ------  -------------------  ----------------------  ---------
    10.129.34.96  None          OptLab-ArubaMM  Building1.floor1  master  ArubaMM-VA  8.1.0.1_59688  up      UPDATE SUCCESSFUL    0                       21
    10.129.34.97  None          OptLab-VMC      Building1.floor1  MD      ArubaMC-VA  8.1.0.1_59688  up      UPDATE SUCCESSFUL    0                       21

Are there any troubleshooting/debug commands for licensing? 

• 12.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 20, 2017 07:49 AM

I found this in the logs, not sure if it helps. I can't find out much more about it: 

Jun 19 12:31:36  stm[5223]: <305038> <5223> <WARN> |stm|  No available license type VMC for AP LabAP

• 13.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 20, 2017 08:28 AM

I finally fixed it. 

At one point during troubleshooting, I managed to install a license on my VMC - but not the right license. Deleting/disabling the license let the VMC talk to the MM for licenses and grab the necessary license and the AP came up. 

• 14.  RE: Aruba OS 8 Licensing Mobility Controller

Posted Feb 01, 2018 07:39 AM
      |   view attached

Same problem here!

MM deployed, cannot add VMC (MD) license. Error shows "Failed to  decrypt key"

ArubaOS 8.2.0.2

Any help appreciated

John