Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba QOS Working way

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Aruba QOS Working way

Posted Jun 28, 2017 07:15 AM

Hi aruba expert.

Let say I want to create QOS on our Aruba controller for 3 SSID. One for 20% No 2 SSID  20% and No.3 SSID for 60 % . How will work. Let say No3 SSID only using 40% the rest SSID will still work with 20 % or will increase amount and then when  NO 3 SSID need fully wrok the rest 2 SSID will decrease and will back to 20 % or not? If Qos do that way how we can test? Any software and application ?

Thanks,

Win

• 2.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2017 09:11 AM

How the traffic management profile functions depends on whether you have it configured as hard or soft.  Hard means that an SSID that is set for 30% will never exceed 30% of the throughput.  Soft means it can exceed 30% if the other SSIDs are not exceeding their throughput.

I have to say that this function is rarely used, because it has the ability to restrict legitimate traffic.   This was put into ArubaOS for multi-tenant operations where different companies had to be guaranteed a certain percentage of the wireless bandwidth.  It is much better to implement a bandwidth policy on a user role, so that only specific devices are restricted, and the others can pass traffic as fast as possible.

More information is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_65x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/ARM/Traffic_Shaping.htm

• 3.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way

Posted Jun 28, 2017 08:27 PM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for answer .. what is soft and hard ? current our company using Model  aruba 3600 and Firmware version 6.1.3.4. Where we can select hard and soft ? let say if we set for one ssid 60% that is minimun bandwidth or Maximun bandwidth ? if the rest of 40 % not using  that  i create 60% one can go up to 100% ? or will stay on 60% ?

• 4.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2017 08:36 PM

Did you get a chance to look at the link in the my post above?  It would be in the Traffic Management Profile under QOS.

In the end it makes troubleshooting much harder, and should only be used in limited circumstances..

• 5.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way

Posted Jun 28, 2017 08:50 PM

Dear Colin,

Thanks for help . I look the link ... Currently I know how to configure Qos but I don't know how it work. Confusing for bandwidth . I created profile with % set for BSSID and want to assign on AP group > Qos .. there have two profile 802.11a and 802.11g. If i set only one for profile what will happen ? let say i only set on 802.11g . The result ?

Thanks & Regards,

Win

• 6.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2017 09:10 PM

If you only have it set for 802.11g, it will only be enforced for 802.11g (2.4ghz band).

• 7.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way

Posted Mar 07, 2018 07:48 PM

Hi Colin,

Is it possible to configure Guaranteed BW via a User Role? For instance, I would like for a particular user role to always have 2 Mb of bandwidth available during times of congestion. 

I think to offer a guarantee, I would need to use Traffic Management profiles and apply the guarantee to a specific VAP. 

I am look for a solution to guarantee BW without a separate VAP/SSID and without having knowledge of what specific traffic the user may be generating. 

Thanks

• 8.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2018 07:55 PM
    You can only specify a limit. You cannot guarantee bandwidth. It is difficult in principle to do that in a shared medium like wireless...

• 9.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way

Posted Mar 07, 2018 08:10 PM

Thanks. 

I guess Guarantee may be a bad word. Prioritize may be better. I am looking for a way to have news media stream content in a gym packed with 1000's of guests. AP layout is very dense but I would still like to give them an advantage.

Could I build a policy to Classify Media for all traffic for the "News Media" user role to a high TOS and/or 802.1p? This would hopefully at least get them more priority over the air then all the other users. Its not a gaurantee but may make it work better?

• 10.  RE: Aruba QOS Working way

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2018 08:40 PM
    That configuration would only work from the server to the client. Any traffic from the client to the server would be best effort. The best thing to do would be design a network where everyone can get on, get their data and get off. The High Density Validated Reference Design guide details this.

Setting the priority higher is for bandwidth and delay sensitive traffic like voice.