Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba RAP documentation when it comes to QoS

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Aruba RAP documentation when it comes to QoS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2020 10:25 PM

Hi,

I have been allover the place trying to find some QoS documentations for Aruba RAP. Any VRDs available for QoS best practice when it comes to RAP? Thanks in advance. 

• 2.  RE: Aruba RAP documentation when it comes to QoS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2020 01:43 AM

After some research I reach out to the following conclusion:

In terms of QoS in RAP deployment, you don’t really have much. The unfortunate part is that the internet itself will not honor any QoS that you put onto a device. You have a single option you can do, but you need to have your deployment in either split-tunnel mode or bridged mode, which is something not a lot of people doing. This option is to reserve bandwidth for a specific type of traffic on the uplink of the RAP. The documentation for this option is below:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_80_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/Uplink_Bandwidth_Reserva.htm

I have two takes on this option:

1. Most of ISP’s residential plans are above 20 Mbps, so reserving bandwidth will not really help as we will have a lot of extra bandwidth already. Though this might works in enterprise setting as you have your branch office with something like 1 Gig uplink and need to reserve bandwidth
    2. You can’t be on tunnel mode when using this option, the WLAN has to be on split-tunnel mode or bridge mode, which 99% of enterprises not doing that

That is my findings and if someone has something to add that would be great for our Airheads community. 

• 3.  RE: Aruba RAP documentation when it comes to QoS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2020 05:32 AM

Find here a slightly related Airheads Learning video:

Performance Tuning for Remote Access Points.