Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba controller "show user-table" command returns "N/A" for AP name?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Aruba controller "show user-table" command returns "N/A" for AP name?

Posted Dec 13, 2011 10:51 AM

Aruba OS 5.0.4.1, running the "show user-table" command returns "N/A" in the AP name column for many clients. What does "N/A" mean in this context? 

• 2.  RE: Aruba controller "show user-table" command returns "N/A" for AP name?

Posted Dec 13, 2011 10:54 AM

I have seen this before when the client had timed out or disconnected and were in the process of getting removed from the user table.

Can you still ping the users address?

• 3.  RE: Aruba controller "show user-table" command returns "N/A" for AP name?

Posted Dec 13, 2011 11:32 AM

Thanks for the response! Most of the N/A clients are not pingable, maybe 10% are. Is the implication that these are recently disconnected clients? How long can we expect before they are removed from the system?

• 4.  RE: Aruba controller "show user-table" command returns "N/A" for AP name?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 13, 2011 11:40 AM

There is a configurable idle timeout under Configuration > Authentication > Advanced.  The default is 300 seconds (5 min).

After no traffic has been seen from the user in 5 min (or what ever the setting above is set to), the controller will attempt to contact the user (ICMP or ARP) to see if the user is still active.  If the user is not active, the controller will remove the user from the user table. 

I am not sure what circumstance causes "N/A" to appear under the AP name, but like I said, I have seen it from time to time.