Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba virtual controller settings such as country code is not persisted after reboot

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba virtual controller settings such as country code is not persisted after reboot

Posted Mar 13, 2020 11:41 AM

I have 3 waps in a cluster, one acting as a master virtual controller and the remaining two as slaves.

Aruba WAP 1: 200.20.200.238 (Master)
    Aruba WAP 2: 200.20.200.239 (Slave)
    Aruba WAP 3: 200.20.200.240 (Slave)

(i) I am updating the virtual-controller-country from the US to CA and the virtual controller IP as 200.20.200.240 from the 200.20.200.238 (Master Aruba WAP). Then rebooting all the slave waps from the master Aruba wap using the command reload all.

root@200.20.200.238's password:

WAP# show election statistics
    State        : Master

WAP# configure terminal
    We now support CLI commit model, please type "commit apply" for configuration to take effect.
    WAP (config) # virtual-controller-ip 200.20.200.240
    WAP (config) # virtual-controller-country CA
    WAP (config) # end
    WAP# commit apply
    committing configuration...
    configuration committed.
    WAP# write memory
    Save configuration.

WAP# show running-config
    version 8.3.0.0-8.3.0
    virtual-controller-country CA
    virtual-controller-ip 200.20.200.240

WAP# reload all
    Do you really want to reset the system (y/n): y

(ii) Now the new (virtual controller) master wap is 200.20.200.240 . Now configuration applied to virtual-controller-country is reverted back to US from CA and the newly inserted parameter,virtual-controller-ip is not available.

[root@ACPU.AAL.0NG7 ~]# ssh 200.20.200.240

WAP# show election statistics
    State        : Master

WAP# show running-config
    version 8.3.0.0-8.3.0
    virtual-controller-country US

Here how to make the virtual controller settings configuration persistent after Aruba WAP's reboot.

I am using Aruba 8.3 image.

Reference: ArubaInstant 8.3 Command-Line Interface Reference Guide - Page numbers(768,767) (https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00047551en_us)

• 2.  RE: Aruba virtual controller settings such as country code is not persisted after reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2020 10:47 AM

It seems like you have a 'US' access point. You should check the sticker on the back of the AP to verify if it has a -US or -RW suffix.

For Canada you will need a rest-of-world model (RW) AP, and you are (very likely) in violation of local regulations if you operate a US access point in Canada.

To be honest, I would have assumed that the AP should have shown an error if you change the country to a non-allowed one.

I would return the AP to the seller and have it exchanged for a RW AP.

• 3.  RE: Aruba virtual controller settings such as country code is not persisted after reboot

Posted Mar 15, 2020 12:57 PM

When I update only the virtual controller IP as 200.20.200.240 from the 200.20.200.238 (Master Aruba WAP) without changing the virtual controller country configuration.

Before Reboot, my running configuration contains virtual controller IP.
    ```
    WAP# show running-config
    version 8.3.0.0-8.3.0
    virtual-controller-ip 200.20.200.240

WAP# reload all
    Do you really want to reset the system (y/n): y
    ```

After Reboot, I don't have a virtual controller IP that is not available in the running configuration.
    ```
    WAP# show running-config
    version 8.3.0.0-8.3.0
    ```

Do you have any thoughts on this behavior? How can I make it persistent?

• 4.  RE: Aruba virtual controller settings such as country code is not persisted after reboot
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2020 04:16 AM

The virtual-controller ip can't be the same as the IP of one of the APs.

So rather try:

virtual-controller-ip 200.20.200.252

(if that IP is free, or take another IP that is outside your DHCP scope for the subnet).

The master will take that IP in addition to the one it received from DHCP and you can always connect to the controller IP to reach the actual master.

For a cluster of 3 APs, you need 4 IP adresses. 3 (preferred DHCP) for each AP and a virtual-controller-ip that is automatically active on the master.

If you want to have your AP3 to be the master, you can check the 'preferred master' configuration.