Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba wireless surveys

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Aruba wireless surveys

Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:05 AM

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask, how to do site wireless surveys with Aruba IAP’s that are not connected to the network.

We are now doing Aruba site surveys by carrying an AP around with us putting it in one area and then having to survey that area.

We will be using Aruba IAP’s for this, but I wanted to make sure we have the AP up and running before using it for a survey.

Are these the correct commands to run on an IAP so we can have an SSID up and running without an Ethernet uplink:

setenv standalone_mode 1

apboot> auto off

apboot>

apboot>save

Do we need to run any other commands or make any other changes on it so we can use it in surveys?

Will the instant SSID or SetMeUp still broadcast by running the above commands and will be able to create a new basic SSID by connecting to the default SSID?

• 2.  RE: Aruba wireless surveys
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:27 AM

I've also had to set a static IP and ethact as well.

Boot Params

ethact=eth0 ipaddr=192.168.x.x netmask=255.255.255.0 gatewayip=192.168.x.x

Running Config

uplink
    no preemption
    enforce ethernet

* edit* Also check out this doc, it details how to set up the IAP 

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Indoor-802-11n-Site-Survey-and-Planning/ta-p/155136

• 3.  RE: Aruba wireless surveys

Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:32 AM

Thanks for this, 

can you confirm what the ethact command does and would the default SSIDs still be brodcasted for us to then configure a simple SSID?

• 4.  RE: Aruba wireless surveys

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:34 AM

I would use your own SSID (not the SetMeUp..) for use, it will be easier to identify and you can also add a PSK to stop access to the IAP management interface.

• 5.  RE: Aruba wireless surveys

Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:41 AM

thats what I want to do.

My question was would the deafault SSID be brocasted to allow me to configure a new PSK SSID for the survey?

• 6.  RE: Aruba wireless surveys

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:47 AM

Yes, I believe it will. You are better off just following the standard configuration guide to get an IAP up and running then make your boot param changes. 

• 7.  RE: Aruba wireless surveys

Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:50 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. 

I have everything now.