Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS 6.3.x -> 6.4.x upgrade / GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS 6.3.x -> 6.4.x upgrade / GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements

Posted Jun 03, 2016 05:45 AM

Hi

releasenotes say 

GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements
    This section describes the important points to remember when configuring an L2 GRE tunnel with respect to
    tunnel-type:
    l ArubaOS 6.4.4.0 continues to support L2 GRE tunnel type zero, but it is recommended to use a non-zero
    tunnel type.
    l If both L2 and L3 tunnels are configured between end point devices, you must use a non-zero tunnel type
    for L2 GRE tunnels.

im using simple MC3400 with campus AP105 and few RAP3-WN with basic plain RAP connection. how is there concerning regarding info from releasenotes regarding the L2 GRE tunnel type zero , im stuck in information how far this concern my setup so far. 

the RAP3wn are not zero-touch connected, they are connected with static user/pw/PSK like a classic RAP setup as i learned in 2010. im using CPSec internally for the campus APs and the VPN-services are just straight configured only for the RAPs , there are no L2TP users/IPSEC VPN users connecting direectly to the MC3400.

someone can tell me regarding zero-tunnel in which case this affects perhaps to us ? 

thanks

ben

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS 6.3.x -> 6.4.x upgrade / GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2016 07:23 AM

Link to release notes?

Just guessing that this only refers to site to site GRE tunnels, NOT GRE tunnels created by access points.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS 6.3.x -> 6.4.x upgrade / GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements

Posted Jun 03, 2016 08:26 AM

hi cjoseph,

well the copy/paste info is just from releasenotes 6.4.x , it's everywhere mentioned in 6.4.x releasenotes and i just dont know if this concerns my setup at all . 

do you really want link to releasenotes , i dont think this helps as copy/paste is the same written there.

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS 6.3.x -> 6.4.x upgrade / GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 03, 2016 09:02 AM

It only relates to site to site GRE deployments.

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS 6.3.x -> 6.4.x upgrade / GRE Tunnel-Type Requirements

Posted Jun 11, 2016 07:48 AM

Hi Colin,

Consider this as an example:

interface tunnel 88

description "Tunnel to anchor"

tunnel mode gre 88

tunnel source 172.16.32.1

tunnel destination 192.168.15.210

trusted

tunnel vlan 888

!

My question is this command: tunnel mode gre <num>   - is this <num> a 16-bit protocol type of the payload packet as per the GRE packet header in RFC 2784 ???

In the example above, I use tunnel mode gre 88, and the config works.   I changed it to some other number, says 14, it also works.

ArubaOS 6.4.4.0 continues to support L2 GRE tunnel type zero, but it is recommended to use a non-zero tunnel type.     So what is the real use of this <num> as in tunnel mode gre <num>?

Kind regards

Kenneth