Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted Mar 20, 2018 05:37 PM
      |   view attached

We recenttly deployed a MM network with two managed devices.

Today we upgraded to 8.2.1.0.

When we try to create a new wlan we get a message that "creating a wlan rewuires a pef license" an we cannot deploy the new wlan.

Please help!

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted Mar 20, 2018 05:41 PM

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2018 02:40 AM

Please open a case at Aruba TAC. PEF should not be needed to create an SSID.

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted Mar 22, 2018 08:15 AM

Herman,

If bridge mode is deprecated, the best approuch would be creating the VLANs on DC side and all SSID tunnlled?

The customer has the wireless VLANs spread all over the buildings.

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2018 04:52 AM

The recommended way with controllers is to run in tunneled mode as much as possible and have the client VLANs only configured on the controller. That makes the configuration at the access point as simple as possible as there is no need to have those distributed access VLANs, and also security is enhanced as there is no access to those VLANs except at the controller. Having no WLAN client vlans at your access layer is one of the benefits/features of having a controller.

If you believe you need bridged VLANs, it could be that Aruba Instant (with Central or Airwave for central management/control/monitoring) is the better solution. Please work with your local Aruba partner or Aruba SE to get proper guidance for your specific scenario as exceptions may apply.

I noticed that in 8.2.1, the option to create bridged VLANs is available in the GUI again, it still is preferred to use tunneled SSID mode.

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted Apr 10, 2018 06:05 PM

Hello,

I am facing the same issue. Is there a workarround except configuring it manually with all profiles on the CLI?

Greetings,
    Hendrik

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted Apr 11, 2018 02:39 AM

Hi,

we have the same problem here with a customer. Is this a bug in the firmware, that is likely to be fixed in the future, or is it intended beaviour in Aruba OS and PEF will be mandatory?

Regards,

Marian

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 04:28 AM

While PEF is highly recommended and provides many features like QoS, advanced security, Application visibility, and should be strongly recommended for every deployment, I'm not aware of any intention to make PEF mandatory.

Everyone who experiences this issue, please open an Aruba TAC case and ask them for a proper solution as you should be able to add WLANs without PEF license.

• 9.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted Apr 12, 2018 12:00 PM

Hi,

I just got a response from TAC:

Yes there has been a change in the Design starting from 8.2.1.0 which has made mandatory now. Unfortunately this has not yet documented.

It looks like the made it mandantory now, but I'm in contact with my Systems Engineer to get mor information about this. I'll keep you posted.

• 10.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2018 10:07 AM

This will be getting corrected in the next 8.2.1.1 release

• 11.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted May 07, 2018 03:43 AM

I'm dealing with a client who can't create a WLAN for this reason. They're on AOS 8.2.1.0. 

Has this been corrected in newer releases or is this still the case?

• 12.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted May 07, 2018 06:18 AM

Hi,

according to my sales-rep this Issue should be fixed in 8.3.0.0 or 8.2.1.1. I just upgraded the MMs to 8.3.0.0 and removed my PEFNG License. This issue is still there.

According to my Aruba Systems Engineer this Issue occures, because the wizzard is trying to create a default-role for the SSID and as you need PEFNG to create such a role. Sadly it looks like there won't be a soultion to this.

What still works is to create a new VAP-Profile on the CLI, but it won't show up in the Configuration->WLANs section in the MM-UI.

• 13.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted Aug 21, 2018 03:31 AM

Hello,

according to Aruba SE team, this issue is considered as bug an will be fixed in future releases. Workaround ist to turn on PEF Feature without adding any PEF licence. In my lab with 8.3.0.1 the workaround did it.  

Best Regards,

Michael

pef-feature.jpg

• 14.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.1 cannot create Wlan without PEF license

Posted Aug 24, 2018 09:13 AM

Hello,

watch out: after running some tests I recognized that an AP will not survive a reboot and get stuck with status "no License". To get this fixed you have to turn off the PEF feature after using the wizard. You may use the role "guest" instead of "authenticated". 

We have an open ticket to get a this issue fixed. 

Best Regards,

Michael Breuer

Ingentive Networks 

https://www.ingentive.net/