Wireless Access

Re: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? uplo

Correct. 8.x still supports standalone and master/local (and redundant masters) deployments. The downside is that new functionality that leverages the mobility master (like airmatch, and clustering) is not available, but the architecture is supported.

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
Super Contributor II

Re: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? uplo

Hi!

Thanks, in this scenario on 8.2 with a primary standalone controller and a secondary standalone controller configured with master-redundancy. Can the primary standalone controller terminate APs? And handle AP failover to the secondary standalone controller if the primary fails? Same way as 6.5 works today?

If yes, is this a supported setup?

Cheers,

Christoffer Jacobsson | Aranya AB
Aruba Partner Ambassador
Aruba: ACMX #537 ACCP ACDP | CWNP: CWNE #306

@Christofferwrote:

Thanks, in this scenario on 8.2 with a primary standalone controller and a secondary standalone controller configured with master-redundancy. Can the primary standalone controller terminate APs? And handle AP failover to the secondary standalone controller if the primary fails? Same way as 6.5 works today?

If yes, is this a supported setup?

There are two terms being used that are conflicting, so I'll try to clarify.

Prior to 8.x, the master controller (and backup-master) were not recommended to terminate APs, but could do so. With 8.x, the Mobility Controller Master mode (MCM) will not terminate APs.

Standalone controllers do function the same, between 6.x and 8.x. Having a primary standalone controller and a second standalone controller providing backup is fine and is supported.

If your environment contains only two controllers, currently running as master and backup-master for redundancy, there are two options with 8.x. First, two standalone controllers with VRRP redundancy between then. The other option is to add a Mobility Master and then cluster to two hardware controllers. Both options are supported.

Charlie Clemmer
Super Contributor II

Thanks alot! That clarifies my question =)

Cheers,

Aruba Partner Ambassador

Good info.
That how my environment is configured. :)
Master Masterstandby with 8.2 based on VRRP

But yet ... What about sharing license ( like in 6.x ) and what about upload multiple content files to captive on controller )
Nobody yet gave me answer on it.
As far as i tested , I'm getting and error that it only can be run on MM ... ( The centrelized license )

Please advise.
*****************2Plus Wireless Solutions****************************
Aruba Airheads - Powered By community for empower the community
************ Don't Forget to Kudos + me,If i helped you******************

@kdisc98wrote:
Good info.
That how my environment is configured. :)
Master Masterstandby with 8.2 based on VRRP

But yet ... What about sharing license ( like in 6.x ) and what about upload multiple content files to captive on controller )
Nobody yet gave me answer on it.
As far as i tested , I'm getting and error that it only can be run on MM ... ( The centrelized license )

Please advise.

You have only two controllers, 7030s, and no Mobility Master (MM), correct?

Charlie Clemmer

With two controllers in 8.x and no MM, both controllers would need to run as standalone controllers. As standalones, there is no config sync between then, so captive portal configuration would need to be replicated across each. Centralized licensing should work between the standalones, however.

Charlie Clemmer
Highlighted
Super Contributor II

I´m sorry for confusion, but this is a messy topic when combining new code/names with legacy features/names.

So now you´re saying that with 2 standalone controllers, running 8.2, configured for "master redundancy 6.5 style" without a mobility master there´s no config sync? Hence it´s not master redundancy but just a vrrp redundancy? I´d have to configure all AP groups, profiles and roles etc individually on each controller?

Once again sorry for the confusion but I need to understand the limitations of this kind of setup :)

Cheers,

Aruba Partner Ambassador

@Christofferwrote:

So now you´re saying that with 2 standalone controllers, running 8.2, configured for "master redundancy 6.5 style" without a mobility master there´s no config sync? Hence it´s not master redundancy but just a vrrp redundancy? I´d have to configure all AP groups, profiles and roles etc individually on each controller?

Once again sorry for the confusion but I need to understand the limitations of this kind of setup :)

No worries, it's important to get terminology right. ;)

In 6.x, the master and standalone roles were basically synonymous. A standalone controller was simply a master with no locals. In 8.x that is no longer the case.

To expand on my previous comment, in 8.x the Master controller (MCM) can not terminate APs. Since a controller only operates in one mode, either master, or standalone, it does not perform both functions. If there are only two controllers deployed today with 6.x, setting the controller's role to MCM in 8.x without adding another component is not how you would want to go.

The standalone controller role does terminate AP tunnels, and standalone controllers also support VRRP redundancy. However, standalone controllers do not sync configuration with each other, as they are standalone managed entities.

For an existing deployment with only two controllers, the options for migrating to 8.x and retaining redundancy are: standalone controllers (not masters, no config sync) with VRRP, or add a Mobility Master (or VMM) and have the two controllers operate as MDs from the MM.

Charlie Clemmer

Guys...Thanks for all info,

Nobody yet response my thread questions.

I see pepole responding and asking other question...

But yet...nothing has yet gave me the needed answer to my questions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 8.2 Standalone - Can i share license like in version 6.X (Centerlized licenese between Master Standalone to the standby standalone ?)

2. How to upload multiple content files for the captive portal ? for personal page i created and i would like to upload it to the controller like it use to be as before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****************2Plus Wireless Solutions****************************
Aruba Airheads - Powered By community for empower the community
************ Don't Forget to Kudos + me,If i helped you******************
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: