Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 16, 2018 02:52 AM

Hi Guys,

Good morning,

recently i deployed two 7030 controllers with ArubaOS 8.2.X.X

when starting the configuration process i encounter to issues i would like to understand and discuss with all AirHeads out here :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Standalone Master <> Standalone Masterstandby (VRRP redundancy)

has been configured and working well.

BUT - how to i configure the centralized licensing from the standalone master that contain the license ? please advise ... license pool or something seems not working - getting an error that can be enabled only on MM

2.i created a customized captive portal...how to i upload the page content ? except the login html? Please advise.

Waiting to hear some advises and answers,

Have an orange mobility day to u all :)

Me

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 16, 2018 04:35 AM

Hi!

From what I heard redundancy in 8.2 can only be achieved by using a mobility master. When configuring a physical controller as a "master" it won´t be able to terminate APs, when configuring it as "standalone" it can terminate APs but not participate in redundancy. It stands alone so to speak.

I was surpriced to hear it and would love to be wrong if anyone has something official on this.

Cheers,

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 16, 2018 07:59 AM

Hi,

I think Standalone in VER 8.X = without MM ...

and why that Aruba will remove great feature.

Take a look in the following screenshot:

2018-04-16_14-56-53.pngAnd i would like to know how to configure/enable it to work.

And i had a 2nd question at my post (regarding uploading couple of files for my captive that located on the contoller - i built my own)

Thanks.

Me

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 16, 2018 08:15 AM
    This is correct

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 16, 2018 08:19 AM
    Victor?
    This is correct , What do u mean?

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 16, 2018 09:58 AM
    My bad , meaning that Chris previous statement/ post is correct

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 16, 2018 10:01 AM

Thanks.

so ...the screenshot i got contain bullshit info?

and what regarding my 2nd question.

Regards,

me

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 16, 2018 10:14 AM
    Are you talking about the " standalone controller acting as a license
    server to another standalone controller?

I personally haven't tested that setup but if it is stated in the document
    I assume it is supported, but you can try testing it in a lab environment
    to validate it works properly before implementing it

• 9.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 16, 2018 02:11 PM

When deploying a standalone / backup standalone, centralized licensing should work the exact same as it was before in 6.x. I have tested that in 8.2.1 and it should work fine. if not, please post your configs and screenshots or open a TAC case. 

• 10.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 17, 2018 02:22 AM

Hi jhoward!

Does this mean that it´s a supported setup to sell 2x controllers running 8.2.x configured as primary standalone / backup standalone for redundancy?

Cheers,

• 11.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 10:38 AM

Correct. 8.x still supports standalone and master/local (and redundant masters) deployments. The downside is that new functionality that leverages the mobility master (like airmatch, and clustering) is not available, but the architecture is supported.

• 12.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 18, 2018 09:15 AM

Hi!

Thanks, in this scenario on 8.2 with a primary standalone controller and a secondary standalone controller configured with master-redundancy. Can the primary standalone controller terminate APs? And handle AP failover to the secondary standalone controller if the primary fails? Same way as 6.5 works today?

If yes, is this a supported setup?

Cheers,

• 13.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2018 10:59 AM

@Christofferwrote:

Thanks, in this scenario on 8.2 with a primary standalone controller and a secondary standalone controller configured with master-redundancy. Can the primary standalone controller terminate APs? And handle AP failover to the secondary standalone controller if the primary fails? Same way as 6.5 works today?

If yes, is this a supported setup?

There are two terms being used that are conflicting, so I'll try to clarify.

Prior to 8.x, the master controller (and backup-master) were not recommended to terminate APs, but could do so. With 8.x, the Mobility Controller Master mode (MCM) will not terminate APs.

Standalone controllers do function the same, between 6.x and 8.x. Having a primary standalone controller and a second standalone controller providing backup is fine and is supported.

If your environment contains only two controllers, currently running as master and backup-master for redundancy, there are two options with 8.x. First, two standalone controllers with VRRP redundancy between then. The other option is to add a Mobility Master and then cluster to two hardware controllers. Both options are supported.

• 14.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 19, 2018 08:05 AM

Thanks alot! That clarifies my question =)

Cheers,

• 15.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 19, 2018 08:18 AM
    Good info.
    That how my environment is configured. :)
    Master Masterstandby with 8.2 based on VRRP

But yet ... What about sharing license ( like in 6.x ) and what about upload multiple content files to captive on controller )
    Nobody yet gave me answer on it.
    As far as i tested , I'm getting and error that it only can be run on MM ... ( The centrelized license )

Please advise.

• 16.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2018 09:52 AM

@kdisc98wrote:
    Good info.
    That how my environment is configured. :)
    Master Masterstandby with 8.2 based on VRRP

But yet ... What about sharing license ( like in 6.x ) and what about upload multiple content files to captive on controller )
    Nobody yet gave me answer on it.
    As far as i tested , I'm getting and error that it only can be run on MM ... ( The centrelized license )

Please advise.

You have only two controllers, 7030s, and no Mobility Master (MM), correct?

• 17.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2018 09:55 AM

With two controllers in 8.x and no MM, both controllers would need to run as standalone controllers. As standalones, there is no config sync between then, so captive portal configuration would need to be replicated across each. Centralized licensing should work between the standalones, however.

• 18.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 20, 2018 02:29 AM

I´m sorry for confusion, but this is a messy topic when combining new code/names with legacy features/names.

So now you´re saying that with 2 standalone controllers, running 8.2, configured for "master redundancy 6.5 style" without a mobility master there´s no config sync? Hence it´s not master redundancy but just a vrrp redundancy? I´d have to configure all AP groups, profiles and roles etc individually on each controller?

Once again sorry for the confusion but I need to understand the limitations of this kind of setup :)

Cheers,

• 19.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2018 11:09 AM

@Christofferwrote:

So now you´re saying that with 2 standalone controllers, running 8.2, configured for "master redundancy 6.5 style" without a mobility master there´s no config sync? Hence it´s not master redundancy but just a vrrp redundancy? I´d have to configure all AP groups, profiles and roles etc individually on each controller?

Once again sorry for the confusion but I need to understand the limitations of this kind of setup :)

No worries, it's important to get terminology right. ;)

In 6.x, the master and standalone roles were basically synonymous. A standalone controller was simply a master with no locals. In 8.x that is no longer the case.

To expand on my previous comment, in 8.x the Master controller (MCM) can not terminate APs. Since a controller only operates in one mode, either master, or standalone, it does not perform both functions. If there are only two controllers deployed today with 6.x, setting the controller's role to MCM in 8.x without adding another component is not how you would want to go.

The standalone controller role does terminate AP tunnels, and standalone controllers also support VRRP redundancy. However, standalone controllers do not sync configuration with each other, as they are standalone managed entities.

For an existing deployment with only two controllers, the options for migrating to 8.x and retaining redundancy are: standalone controllers (not masters, no config sync) with VRRP, or add a Mobility Master (or VMM) and have the two controllers operate as MDs from the MM.

• 20.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 22, 2018 06:00 AM

Guys...Thanks for all info,

Nobody yet response my thread questions.

I see pepole responding and asking other question...

But yet...nothing has yet gave me the needed answer to my questions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 8.2 Standalone - Can i share license like in version 6.X (Centerlized licenese between Master Standalone to the standby standalone ?)

2. How to upload multiple content files for the captive portal ? for personal page i created and i would like to upload it to the controller like it use to be as before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 21.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2018 07:54 AM

1. Jhoward answered: "When deploying a standalone / backup standalone, centralized licensing should work the exact same as it was before in 6.x. I have tested that in 8.2.1 and it should work fine. if not, please post your configs and screenshots or open a TAC case. "

2.  Please search the 8.2 documentation for how to upload the Captive Portal pages.  I found the information here:   http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_82_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Captive_Portal/Internal_Captive_Portal.htm#captive_portal_2658586545_1085111

3.  It is suboptimal to install a network without an MM and it should not really be done, because you give up too many features and functionality.  You will just end up asking "will XXX feature work on a controller-based master" and nobody will  know because few if anybody installs that way.  The MM is designed to be the master as a device that has alot of disk and memory, and runs Airgroup and Airmatch centrally.  Installing an MM is a complete separation of the configuration and data plane that is necessary to deploy highly scalable networks and you should honestly not bother with a controller as a master, because you will run into limitations and few if any people will have answers to your questions.

• 22.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 25, 2018 05:32 AM

1. OK - So i guess, i missing somthing :)

Because i have 2 standalones (Master / MasterStandby)

2. Already notice that beofre posting...but what about CONTENT files , not the TOP-LEVEL login (for example images/CSS/Javascripts and more) - how to i upload them?

3.MM is a great add-on ..but this spesefic deployment with 8.2.X is for guest enrivorment and needs only.

• 23.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 25, 2018 07:18 AM

1.  Maybe

2.  The procedure to upload html files for the top level page and assets has not changed between 6.x and 8.x. 

EDIT:  When I say it is the same, I mean you still upload assets through the welcome page upload dialog.

3.  Why use 8.2 if this deployment is just for guest?  Unless the user has hardware that requires 8.2, maybe use 6.x instead of installing 8.x without an MM?  In 8.x you cannot terminate any access points on the master controller.  

• 24.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 25, 2018 08:26 AM
    1. Ok.
    2. U don't have place to upload content files... Or assets.. show me where ? Not welcome page...content of the page not HTML files..

3. More than that :) Are u serious ? ... Been deployed 8 since it was tactical only... And I'm using standalone master and standalone Masterstandby on version 8.2 - for a reason. So.. no MM in my solution and yet .. I need answer on question 2...

• 25.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 25, 2018 08:46 AM

1.  OK

2.  Uploading files using the Welcome upload uploads content files.  It is the same procedure with 6.x.  Uploading files using Logon uploads a file and sets the logon page to that HTML.

3.  Just checking...

• 26.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Apr 25, 2018 08:49 AM

so no 1. anymore :)

regarding 2. Thanks ..so i need to upload content via welcome page and top level login as vefore

reagrding 3. forgot to mention ... using MultiZone that why im stucked in 8.X for this master masterstandby guest enviroment.

Thanks for all the info

• 27.  RE: ArubaOS 8.2.X.X (2 Questions) Standalone <> Standalone standby(how to share licenese? upload files?)

Posted Jun 03, 2019 03:09 PM

Point 3 is a very salient argument for deploying a Mobility Master.  Thanks for spelling it out so clearly.