Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

Posted Apr 18, 2017 03:42 PM

Hi,

a colleague of mine just deployed a virtual controller, but he can't remember if he configured it as a Master or standalone.

Is there any command that will show me which flavour he installed?

At the webUI, left pane I see an entry "Mobility Controller" and below that the actual controller.

I also can find the license tab under settings of Mobility controller but not under settings of the actual controller

I post two screenshot from the GUI, as mentioned above. Can someone help me?

Thanks

John

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2017 05:04 PM

That is in standalone mode. If it were under an MM, the Mobility Master IP address would be listed in the top-left. 

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

Posted Apr 18, 2017 05:34 PM

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

But why there are different configuration options at these two levels ("Mobility Controller" and "second level controller")?

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2017 06:27 PM

It's an artifact of the AOS 8 base OS. 

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

Posted Apr 18, 2017 06:40 PM

Well, the initial problem is as follows:

We deployed the standalone virtual controller from an ovf that we downloaded from the aruba's site.

After that we applied the licenses MC-VA-RW250, and 163 aps capacity license, but the controller still sees as a limit only 50.

I attach the relevant screenshots.

Can you please help me?

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2017 06:59 PM
      |   view attached

Grab the 'Aruba Mobility Master and VMC Installation Guide', you will need to modify the VMC settings in your ESX server to add 5 CPU sores, 6GB RAM, and 6GB of disk. Once you change that, the VMC will recognize itself as a MC-VA-250. See screenshot. 

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

Posted Apr 18, 2017 08:21 PM

Really very usefull info.

Thanks a lot!

By now the vm is installed on a server with 4 physical cores. So I have to upgrade.

Since the vm is licensed with 163 aps capacity license and 250 e-LTU, what will be the side effects till the upgrade?

Will the controller configure more than 50 aps or not?

I also mentioned a periodic reboot of access points (only a few out of 88). is this a side effect too?

Sorry if I become stupid with these questions

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2017 12:25 AM

APs rebooting might be, as once a controller is full it won't allow any more to come up. it will not provision or configure more than 50 is 50 are active. I would personally halt it, snapshot it, then add another core and change the RAM and disk, and then power it back up. If you re-deploy, you will get a new passphrase and you would have to migrate your licenses (PITA). 

• 9.  RE: ArubaOS 8 virtual - MD or standalone, how can I say

Posted Nov 27, 2018 09:00 AM

Hi Jerrod,

Can we conclude that the only way to make the instance to support 250 wireless APs is to remove the previous MC-VA-50 license and install the new the MC-VA-250 license?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Hermin