Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

Posted Oct 17, 2017 05:53 AM

Hi all

I setup my frist ArubaOS 8.x MC. Our customer has multiple location which are all connected together (VPN or Layer2 ISP Connections).

Each location has a own Subnetz with own VLAN-ID. There is one Controller on HQ which manage all locations (often is only one 3-4 APs per location).

The employee's need to connect on all locations with the same Wifi credentials. 

How can I switch the VLAN based on the location which the user are connecting?

Thanks in advanced.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2017 06:28 AM

Hi,

I assume you will do bridging of client traffic - right?

what do you mean by "The employee's need to connect on all locations with the same Wifi credentials."? 

Are they using EAP-PEAP Authentication? 
    Than you are able to use Radius data to push them into the needed VLAN.

Go to Authentication - Server Group - Server Rules and set a new rule based on Aruba-AP-IP-Address as an example. As Action you will det the VLAN

Location-VLAN.PNG

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

Posted Oct 17, 2017 07:20 AM

Thank you very much.

That was the solution. In didn't search in the "Auth Server" Tab. ;)

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2018 04:26 PM

I have the same scenario with way more than 3-4 APs at each location.  I'm hoping to use your solution, but use some sort of "begins with" as it would be too inneficient to put in every single AP address.  Further thoughts?

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

Posted Jul 25, 2018 04:43 PM

Similar challenge here. In AOS 6.x we have VLAN pools for different locations for the same SSID. Using the server rule approach with, for example, Aruba-AP-Group starts with "XX-", I can map to only a single VLAN, not a VLAN pool. Converting these pools to a single VLAN is going to be a lot of work, as we have many client devices with fixed IP addresses that would have to be changed. Looking for a better solution.

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

MVP
    Posted Jul 30, 2018 09:42 AM

If you're doing EAP-PEAP to ClearPass, you could return the VLAN ID or Name I believe and let CPPM do the logic for you as to what to return. It can use BEGINS_WITH  for AP IP or AP Name or even AP Group probably. 

I'm not sure about AOS 8, but I know in AOS 6 regardless of the VLAN set in the VAP, if one is returned by CPPM, that one is used instead - even without the server rules configured. We have this configured at a site right now and it's been working for years.

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2018 10:41 AM

@mharing wrote:

I'm not sure about AOS 8, but I know in AOS 6 regardless of the VLAN set in the VAP, if one is returned by CPPM, that one is used instead - even without the server rules configured. We have this configured at a site right now and it's been working for years.

When the Aruba VSAs are used, that is correct. It using other attributes such as filter-id to signal VLAN, then server rules would be needed.

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

Posted Aug 06, 2019 11:31 AM

What if client is not doing radius or cppm?  THey need a wpa2 key ssid that will change vlans depending on location (AP group).

Is there a way to do this in 8.4 ???

• 9.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

Posted Aug 06, 2019 02:04 PM

I figured out how to do this (single preshare key ssid with multiple vlans)

You have to manualy config a new wlan virtual-ap and then just reference the aaa and ssid profiles and change the vlan id

First I created the ssid via web-gui and put it in default ap group. That gave me the following on ssid named test.

wlan virtual-ap "test"
    aaa-profile "test_aaa_prof"
    vlan 1
    ssid-profile "test_ssid_prof"

I then created new wlan referencing the aaa and ssid profiles and changed the vlan to 59 via cli

wlan virtual-ap "HS-test"
    vlan 59

Then I went back into web-gui and assigned this new HS-test wlan to my HS ap group.  Rinse and repeat for other elementaries etc etc etc.

enjoy !!!

• 10.  RE: ArubaOS 8.x multi Location SSID with different VLANs

Posted Jul 08, 2020 04:55 PM

john@mosstele.com wrote:

I figured out how to do this (single preshare key ssid with multiple vlans)

You have to manualy config a new wlan virtual-ap and then just reference the aaa and ssid profiles and change the vlan id

First I created the ssid via web-gui and put it in default ap group. That gave me the following on ssid named test.

wlan virtual-ap "test"
    vlan 1

I then created new wlan referencing the aaa and ssid profiles and changed the vlan to 59 via cli

wlan virtual-ap "HS-test"
    vlan 59

Then I went back into web-gui and assigned this new HS-test wlan to my HS ap group.  Rinse and repeat for other elementaries etc etc etc.

enjoy !!!

Just in case someone runs across this in the future, in the Web GUI, there is an option that needs to be turned on called "Show advanced profiles".

You get there by clicking on the logged in user (admin, for example), clicking Preferences, and finally checking "Show advanced profiles".

Once there, go back to your AP groups, select an AP Group, then on the right side under the highlighted box (which includes APs, WLANS, Multizone, etc.), there's a new "Profiles" link on the right. You can then manage your AP stuff like the old AOS 6.x.