Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS - Bad performance in tunnel mode

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS - Bad performance in tunnel mode

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 28, 2020 07:37 AM

Hi friends,

In my HomeLAB something went wrong. Normally i reach 600Mbit/sec WLAN throughput but now for some reason i only get 100-150Mbit/sec out of it. It is NOT an RF issue, i troubleshoot that already. For reference, I use 5Ghz only 100@80mhz in a clear spectrum with -35dBm at a 1 meter distance form my AP-505.

Specs:

• 2x VMC - ArubaOS 8.6.0.3 running at an Intel NUC8
    • IAP-505 and IAP-325

What i figured out is that when i change tunnel mode to bridge mode my speed is back to 600Mbit/sec, change it to tunnel mode its fallback again to 100-150Mbit/sec.

To test the wired performance inside the vmware vswitch i test from my laptop to another virtual machine in the same subnet with a stable performance of 980Mbit/sec.

My conclusion is that something went wrong when WLAN traffic passing the VMC controller. I think about something like MTU size or what, but i didn't find the clue yet. Some expert advise should be very welcome.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS - Bad performance in tunnel mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 28, 2020 06:11 PM

Are you testing with an encrypted SSID? 

When in tunnel mode the VMC is responsible for encryption/decryption - which may be your bottleneck. It would be interesting to hear your throughout when in decrypt-tunnel mode or with an unencrypted SSID.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS - Bad performance in tunnel mode
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 29, 2020 07:48 AM

Hi Prf,

Lot of thanks for answering my post, unfortunately it doesn't solve the issue. First of all good to known, i re-setup everything yesterday! start from scratch, install my MM and MC again, not because the issue but because iam writing some documentation;).

• In tunnel mode with wpa2-enterprise aes-encryption: 160Mbit
    • In dycryped tunnel mode with wpa2-enterprise aes-encryption: 160Mbit
    • In tunnel mode with only open: 160Mbit
    • In bridge mode with wpa2-enterprise aes-encryption: 600Mbit

While do a wireless iPerf test all runs @160Mbit... With only 3 users on the MC and low CPU use, encryption isn't the issue.

(HomeLAB-MC01) [MDC] *#show cpu

user 4.4%, system 5.1%, idle 90.5%

I do another test by using my wlan pi on the wired lan side as SCP server and copy a 1024MB file to the flash partition of the MC, guess what...again 160Mbit/sec, so my uplink in the VMC / VMware vSwitch should be the issue.

(HomeLAB-MC01) *#copy scp: 172.16.201.115 wlanpi /home/wlanpi/1000mb.bin flash: 1000mb.bin

Next test is to do same SCP job from the wired wlanpi to another nextdoor windows vm in my vmware hypervisor... dammit again 160Mbits/sec.

This change the situation to a hypervisor related issue.