Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS Layer 3 Gateway on LMS2

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS Layer 3 Gateway on LMS2

Posted May 09, 2016 03:43 PM

I have a standalone Aruba 3600 controller which all of our RAP-5s and RAP-155s connect up to.  The profile we push to the RAPs defines the controller as LMS1 and also has multiple VLANs configured on it for various uses such as wirelss, printing, guest, etc which that controller handles the Layer 3 addressing for. 

I now want to configure a second 3600 controller for failover in a master/local environment and just define it on the profile as LMS2.  The only question is the gateway of those VLANs.  If for example, I currently have a statically (or DHCP) assigned printer connected to a RAP with an IP of 192.168.0.20 and a gateway of 192.168.0.1 which is defined on LMS1 and that controller fails, the profile will tell the RAP to point to LMS2.  Now we have a printer with an IP of 192.168.0.20 with no gateway to go to.  What do we configure on the second controller?

We do not want to configure VRRP.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS Layer 3 Gateway on LMS2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2016 04:52 PM

If you have a device with those constraints, the backup controller must put that device on the same layer 2 vlan.  The default gateway cannot be the controller, but another device upstream that would be common to both controllers on the same layer 2 vlan of the printer.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS Layer 3 Gateway on LMS2

Posted May 23, 2016 01:24 PM

It looks like we are going to have to reconsider VRRP, however my question is still the Layer 3. How is it configured redundant controller?  Do I configure the same VLAN IP address for the printer network on both controllers and it just sits inactive until the primary controller fails?

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS Layer 3 Gateway on LMS2

Posted May 24, 2016 06:50 AM

VRRP adds a virtual third IP, which "lives" on the actice devices.