Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS Upgrade Error

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS Upgrade Error

Posted Jan 18, 2012 03:57 PM

When upgrading from ArubaOS 3.4 to 6.1 I get this message:

"An additional image upgrade is required to complete the installation of the AP and WebUI files.  Please upgrade the boot partition again and reload the controller"

I would appreciate any help with what I need to do.  This platform is Series 600.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

Posted Jan 18, 2012 04:01 PM
    Copy the same code to the same partition and reload the controller. This is normal when moving to 6.x code the first time.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2012 04:01 PM

You are supposed to upgrade to ArubaOS 5.0.4.x before you upgrade to 6.x  That normally populates the ancillary partition correctly.

What you can try is upgrading  the 6.x imag again, to the same partition that you first upgraded and see if the message goes away.

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

Posted Jan 18, 2012 04:06 PM
    As Colin said, there is a definite upgrade path (should have been 3.x > 5.0.4.x > 6.x). Since you have already done the first step, though, you may be able to just copy the code again and reload.

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

Posted Jan 18, 2012 04:33 PM
    6.1 release notes states that there is a direct upgrade path from the latest 3.4.x code to 6.1 doesn't it? Edit: yes it does but you must be on 3.4.4.1 or above. Upgrading from 3.x to 6.1 If you are running ArubaOS 3.4.4.1 or a later version in the 3.4.4.x code stream, you can directly upgrade to ArubaOS 6.1.2.3. However, upgrading from a 3.x ArubaOS version earlier than 3.4.4.1 requires an upgrade hop. You must first upgrade to the latest ArubaOS 3.4.4.x build before upgrading to ArubaOS 6.1.2.3. For instance, 3.3.x assumes you have upgraded to the most recent version of 3.3. All versions assume that you have upgraded to the most recent version as posted on the Aruba download site. For instance, 3.3.x assumes you have upgraded to the most recent version of 3.3.

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

Posted Jan 18, 2012 04:43 PM
    Apologies for the formatting.. iPad and forum do not mix well by the looks of it!

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

Posted Jan 19, 2012 03:53 PM

When I did the two step upgrade the first time it didn't work.   I installed each upgrade to a different partition.

When I installed the two upgrades to the same partition, as advised in the above replies, it worked! Thank-you to all.

However, now when I monitor my AP-105 booting up, I get the following message: 

"vap Aruba000 vlan is 1.  not discovering tunnel vlan"

I didn't have this with the older AOS.  The AP seems to be forwarding properly.  Forwarding is set to tunnel mode and the vlan is 1.  (I am using a simple config to test  in a lab).  Is this normal and if not, what might be causing this message?

Thanks.

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 19, 2012 05:15 PM

The message can be ignored.

• 9.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

Posted Jan 26, 2012 05:17 PM
    If this error can be ignored, why does the AP have a red Ethernet light on it? I too am getting this error, but it doesnt stop the device from talking properly on the network.

• 10.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2012 05:18 PM

@Mspry1 wrote:
    If this error can be ignored, why does the AP have a red Ethernet light on it? I too am getting this error, but it doesnt stop the device from talking properly on the network.

That light might be orange, which means it is connected at 10/100.

• 11.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

Posted Jan 19, 2012 08:30 PM
    My upgrade path was from 3.4.3.1 -> 3.4.4.3 -> 6.1.2.5, which per the aforementioned post is valid. However, I too had to download the 6.x image ta second time to the controller and reload to get rid of that message. This happened consistently across 4 M3s as well as a 3600. This leads me to believe that the instructions are not correct... FYI.

• 12.  RE: ArubaOS Upgrade Error

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2013 07:19 AM

I got that error when upgrading from 6.1 to 6.2

I upgraded the non active partition to 6.2 as well and rebooted.  It got stuck in the cpboot menu, but another roboot fixed it.