Wireless Access

ArubaOS8 Mobility-Master - Partial vs Full Config

At what point does the "full config" of managed devices get updated or written to the mobility master? While troubleshooting an issue last week with CCM, noticed the full-folder had the configuration files along with Config-ID - and the controllers IDs were older. This ended up causing an issue during the L3 MM fail-over where the managed devices reverted back to older versions of our validuser acl. TAC case is currently open.

n=md=Campus=<local-controller-1-395>.cfg

n=md=Campus=<local-controller-2-302>.cfg

n=md=Campus-405.cfg

Guru Elite

Re: ArubaOS8 Mobility-Master - Partial vs Full Config

All you had to say is L3 MM failover.  I am not sure that is supported as of yet.

EDIT: Yes it is supported.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

L3 MM failover is supported. If a change was made between the replication window of the L3 MMs (this is configured or configurable) then the two MMs could have different config IDs. 

Anytime the MM makes a config change and then a write mem is ussued, then a new config ID is generated and the diff pushed to the controllers. I don't know if there is a set specific window where the CFGs are merged. So long as the config ID is the same for the active MM and the MDs, that's what matters. If your L3 MMs are not syncing correctly, or the sync is disabled, please open a TAC case and have them check it. But the smallest window for L3 MM sync is two hours. SO there IS a rare chance that if you have an active MM and just pushed a config change and then lost the MM, that the MDs would revert to the L3 MM after 15min and may pull an older ocnfig. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer

@cjoseph wrote:

All you had to say is L3 MM failover.  I am not sure that is supported as of yet.

EDIT: Yes it is supported.

@cjoseph, funny thing. You helped answer one of the the 3 issues we ran into during the L3 MM Fail-Over when you prompted that support question. :-) I went looking for one of the original L3 MM posts for support verification, and remembered the lack of "configuration ability" from the standby L3 MM was by design - https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Layer-3-Redundancy-for-Mobility-Master-on-8-2/m-p/313229#M75784 -- from jhoward - "There will not be any configuration abaility (ability to manage configurations of the MCs) *unless* you manually promote the Standby MM to Primary. This is to prevent split brain issues and you would only promote the standby if you know the primary MM is down for good or for awhile."

@jhoward wrote:

L3 MM failover is supported. If a change was made between the replication window of the L3 MMs (this is configured or configurable) then the two MMs could have different config IDs. 

Anytime the MM makes a config change and then a write mem is ussued, then a new config ID is generated and the diff pushed to the controllers. I don't know if there is a set specific window where the CFGs are merged. So long as the config ID is the same for the active MM and the MDs, that's what matters. If your L3 MMs are not syncing correctly, or the sync is disabled, please open a TAC case and have them check it. But the smallest window for L3 MM sync is two hours. SO there IS a rare chance that if you have an active MM and just pushed a config change and then lost the MM, that the MDs would revert to the L3 MM after 15min and may pull an older ocnfig. 

@jhoward, thanks for the additional information (and the other post about lack of configuration ability from a Standby L3 MM Failover unless it's manually promoted to Primary). I'm continuing to work with TAC on the issue - a bit more info I should have included - I saw this behavior about 8 weeks ago (thought it had been a fluke):

I was clearing up a "config commit error" related to a syslog server setting on the MDs:

1. Removed errored out syslog config setting
  2. Issued a "ccm-debug full-config-sync" to perform a full sync per another post
  3. Sync completed successfully after performing "show switches"
  4. Started receiving "connectivity issues" - upon reviewing the configuration of the "validuser" acl - discovered the "any any any deny" had moved up to the top.

What it almost looked like happened in both cases. When a "Full Sync" occurred, it loaded a version of the "validuser" acl from the "full folder", but none of the partial configs since then (based on obervation -> I gave TAC serveral screenshots of my observation from the flashbackups) - and referenced if this could be related to Defect 182049 - which is resolved in ArubaOS 8.2.2.2.

validuser.PNG
Sorry for all the complex observations. :-) I am still working with TAC.

While on topic - how does one promote a Standby L3 MM to a Primary? I've asked TAC about this for future reference, but haven't heard back yet.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: