Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Assign vlan by device type

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Assign vlan by device type

Posted Jan 07, 2016 11:09 AM

Dear Experts,

We would like to assign an authenticated user to different vlan by device types and MAC addresses. We don't have PEF on our controller. Apart from ClassPass Policy Manager, do we need to purchase any other licenses?

Thanks,

Sam

• 2.  RE: Assign vlan by device type
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 07, 2016 11:10 AM
    No you don't need any additional licenses to return a VLAN from ClearPass.

Sent from Nine

• 3.  RE: Assign vlan by device type

Posted Feb 29, 2016 05:32 PM

Hi all!

I'm new at Aruba and I have some doubts.

I would like to dynamically assign VLANs to devices that connect to an SSID, especially the guests (devices with iOS , Android , etc.) to a specific VLAN, it is possible? and if so, what do I need?

Greetings and thanks for everything.

• 4.  RE: Assign vlan by device type

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 29, 2016 05:37 PM

What authentication method are you planning to use?

Do you have ClearPass?

• 5.  RE: Assign vlan by device type

Posted Feb 29, 2016 06:21 PM

Hi Tim!

I don't have clearpass, we have a RADIUS Server, and AD, that's why I wonder how could be done, 'cause with the AD and the RADIUS I can do that with my network users, but do I need to register the guests (mac address or usernames) before moving them to another vlan? or could I just used the virtual controller of IAPs (205 or 225)? or even with a controller?

* I already know some of the great stuff you can do with ClearPass (I went to a presentation and was great!), but right now it's not an option, so I would like to know if there is another way to do it?

Thanks for all.

• 6.  RE: Assign vlan by device type

Posted Feb 29, 2016 06:39 PM

Hi Tim!

I guess I have not made the right question, I want to know if could the IAP controller acording to the device with the user connect to the SSID be dinamically assigned to an specific vlan using only RAIDUS server and AD?

Thanks for all and apology for the inconveniences

• 7.  RE: Assign vlan by device type

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2016 10:33 AM

Yes, your RADIUS server can return back a VLAN. How granular depends on the capabilities of your RADIUS server.

• 8.  RE: Assign vlan by device type

Posted Mar 23, 2016 01:57 PM

Thanks  Tim