Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Assigning Select VLANs on Same SSID

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Assigning Select VLANs on Same SSID

Posted Jul 25, 2016 11:57 PM

Hi,

Could anyone please suggest me how i can assign select VLANs on the same SSID by using WLAN Controller?

Scenario: Say there are total of 3 departments having separate VLANs e.g. VLAN20 for Finance department, VLAN30 for IT department, VLAN40 for Sales department.

I want to create and keep the same single SSID (say "HeadOffice") for all three departments. The requirement is whenever users from Finance and Sales department try to establish connection (via "HeadOffice"), they always get connected to their respective VLANs only and not from VLAN30 which is IT department.

Please guide me through the process if there is any possibility of accomplishing this task.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Assigning Select VLANs on Same SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 25, 2016 11:58 PM
    What RADIUS server are you using?

• 3.  RE: Assigning Select VLANs on Same SSID

Posted Jul 26, 2016 12:05 AM

Pre-Shared key based authentication is being used.

• 4.  RE: Assigning Select VLANs on Same SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2016 12:07 AM
    You need to be using 802.1X to properly identify users.

• 5.  RE: Assigning Select VLANs on Same SSID

Posted Jul 26, 2016 12:26 AM

We are willing to implement 802.1x if this can help achieve the goal.

I'd appreciate if you could guide me through. 

• 6.  RE: Assigning Select VLANs on Same SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2016 04:15 AM

There are two parts to this issue:

(1) Possibly deploying 802.1x

(2) Does every department need their own subnet?

With regards to #1, 802.1x is complicated, but not impossible.  It should be done separately from #2, because it requires the configuration of a Radius Server, a Certificate Authority and Clients, which should be piloted before going into production.  If you have a domain, detailed information on how to deploy radius on an NPS server is here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Controllers/Step-by-Step-How-to-Configure-Microsoft-NPS-2008-Radius-Server/m-p/14392/highlight/true#M6113

With regards to #2, alot of people think that they need to deploy differing users into their own subnets, but an ip address is just a way to get traffic to and from users and adding a subnet for each floor or each department demands creates management overhead (more subnets), but does not really do anything, security-wise.  Realistically, you need to deploy #1, to be able to differentiate users (typically by AD groups), before you consider #2., since there is no way to even differentiate users securely unless you use 802.1x.