Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Aurba 8.3 vMM and vMD high CPU use.

Is there a reason these Aruba VMs pull so much CPU even at idle?  I am trying to run a small lab but these VMs are hogs.  I have seen this on VMware, KVM, and Hyper-V.

Guru Elite

Re: Aurba 8.3 vMM and vMD high CPU use.

We need more specifics about your setup, the hardware it is running on and what you have configured.  I have an vMM running at 9% most of the time.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor II

Sure, what do you need to know?

Here are some screenshots. Still waiting on licenses so these VMs aren't doing anything...

With Aruba VMs .pngWith Aruba VMs off.pngVMs offWith Aruba VMs on.pngVMs on

Guru Elite

From what I can interpret, the only "high" process I see is java at 92% when you are first booting in the last screenshot.  Everything else, at least from the screenshots, looks normal.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
New Contributor

I'm having the same behaviour over different MM and MC, all taking ~ 1.2-1.5Ghz continuously. Environment is set up for lab purposes and there are only 10 clients and 2 APs connected.

Command "show processes sort-by cpu" always shows the same process taking a huge chunk of CPU:

(VMC-241) #show processes sort-by cpu

%CPU S PID PPID VSZ RSS F NI START TIME EIP CMD
61.8 S 22238 22221 1677488 62196 4 0 Jan31 7-21:29:47 b199d46d /mswitch/bin/sos.shumway.elf -c 0xe -n 1 -b 0000:03:00.0 -- -M0xffff -s0x2 -f0x4 -p0x7 --config -D1 -d0x8 -C0x0 -t 0x800000100

(MM-2-252) *[mynode] #show processes sort-by cpu

%CPU S PID PPID VSZ RSS F NI START TIME EIP CMD
39.1 S 5658 5641 1626792 21900 4 0 Jan31 4-23:34:24 eebbf46d /mswitch/bin/sos.opusone.elf -c 0x6 -n 1 -b 0000:03:00.0 -- -M0xffff -s0x2 -f0x4 -p0x3 --config -C0x0 -t 0x800000100

Any ideas how to troubleshoot further?

Running ESX 6.5 and ArubaOS 8.4.0.0

You can open a TAC case, but I would ensure that:

1. That promiscous mode and forged transmits are enabled

2. There is no vSwitch loop (ala you do not have any of the VMC interfaces on the same vswitch/port group). 

3. There's no loop external to the hypervisor. 

Seeing the issues across MM and VMC all on the same hypervisor screams one of the above. You can go in and disable all but gig0/0/0, and ensure promiscuous and forged transmits are enabled everywhere that the MM and VMC is. 

But TAC can help run this to ground, I have VMCs serving my home network and the largest CPU util process is 4.6% (well within spec)

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: