Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Automatic backup controller

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Automatic backup controller

Posted Aug 29, 2012 08:47 AM

Hi!

Is there a simple way to take backup automatically of the controller using a script? We have scripts that take the config for our Cisco, our firewalls, etc.. But for the 650, I did try a few and it does not work. In SSH, this is rather complicated to push commands in script. Does a URL link is on the controller I could directly download the TAR, or something like that? 

Thx!

• 2.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Aug 29, 2012 10:50 AM

Shouldn't be overly difficult to script on the CLI.

What are the commands does your existing script use on the Cisco...  and which ones did you try on the Aruba... or are you saying you just tried to re-use canned scripts  as a starting point ?  If so, which ones ?

I would envision approaching with a 

- login

- enter enable mode

-turn off paging

- show run

-exit

• 3.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Aug 29, 2012 12:52 PM

Alternatively, you can explore enabling phone home feature if you are running AOS version like 6.1.3.4, A copy of the tech support log will be saved in Aruba phone home server.

• 4.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Mar 28, 2013 06:42 PM

Ok, I'm posting this just for other people to use. 

Caveats:  

- It's ugly.

- It's complicated.

- It works.

Things you will need:

- A linux server ready to receive the backups.

- (Optional) A subversion repository ready to go.

- A user that can log in on both your Aruba devices and your linux server. This might be an actual LDAP user, or just two local users with the same name and password.

- Successfully connected to all the Aruba controllers from the linux box, using that local user. (The script is not smart enough to understand when it asks if you want to add the host's key.)

- "expect" installed on your linux box.

- If using subversion, have already checked out the aruba folder, so that it's ready to have the svn commands run.

- A basic understanding of how linux, SSH, and shell scripting work, and subversion if you're using it. (Because I don't know how much time I'll have to help anyone troubleshoot this thing.)

So, without further ado, here's the script:   getaruba.sh

#!/usr/bin/env bash

#
    # Modified script by Dan Scherck scherckd@evergreen.edu
    # 
    # Original author Gerrit Tamboer gerrit@gerrit-tamboer.net
    #

#### SETTINGS ####

# What time is it? Dump the date to a variable.
    datestamp=`/bin/date`

# Username and PW for scp. Wish we didn't have to hardcode this. Still trying to find a better way.
    scp_username=LOCALUSERNAME
    scp_pw=LOCALUSERPASSWORD

# Where should I put the data?
    backupdir=/home/$scp_username/aruba
    backupserver=192.168.5.5

# Define the needed tools by using the "which" command to find their full paths.
    scp=`which scp`
    expect=`which expect`
    ssh=`which ssh`
    svn=`which svn`
    masterIP=192.168.99.2
    local1IP=192.168.99.3
    local2IP=192.168.99.4

#### SETTINGS END ####

# Make sure the repo is current.
    $svn update $backupdir

# First, we do the backup commands. For some reason chaining this part screws up the rest of the expect if it takes too long, so it's run completely separately.

# The hostnames of the controllers are "Aruba-Master", "Aruba-Local1" and "Aruba-Local2". 
    # This is important for the expect command to be able to recognize the prompt and send commands / passwords.

## Master controller flash backup.
    $expect -c "
    set timeout 10
    spawn $ssh $scp_username@$masterIP
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"aster.*\"
    send \"backup flash\r\"
    expect -re \"aster.*\"
    send \"exit\r\"
    interact
    "
    ## Local1 flash backup
    $expect -c "
    set timeout 10
    spawn $ssh $scp_username@$local1IP
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"backup flash\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"exit\r\"
    interact
    "
    ## Local2 flash backup
    $expect -c "
    set timeout 10
    spawn $ssh $scp_username@$local2IP
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"backup flash\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"exit\r\"
    interact
    "

# End Backup section.

# Start the actual copy operations.

# Aruba_Master
    ## This whole section is the expect command.
    expect -c "
    set timeout 10
    spawn $ssh $scp_username@$masterIP
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"aster.*\"
    send \"copy flash: default.cfg scp: $backupserver $scp_username /home/$scp_username/aruba/Aruba_Master.txt\r\"
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"aster.*\"
    send \"export gap-db ap-database\r\"
    expect -re \"aster.*\"
    send \"copy flash: ap-database scp: $backupserver $scp_username /home/$scp_username/aruba/Aruba_Master_ap-database.txt\r\"
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"aster.*\"
    send \"copy flash: flashbackup.tar.gz scp: $backupserver $scp_username aruba/Aruba_Master_flash_backup.tar.gz\r\"
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"aster.*\"
    send \"exit\r\"
    interact
    "
    # End the expect command.

# Aruba_Local1
    # This whole section is the expect command.
    expect -c "
    set timeout 10
    spawn $ssh $scp_username@$local1IP
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"copy flash: default.cfg scp: $backupserver $scp_username /home/$scp_username/aruba/Aruba_Local1.txt\r\"
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"copy flash: flashbackup.tar.gz scp: $backupserver $scp_username aruba/Aruba_Local1_flash_backup.tar.gz\r\"
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"exit\r\"
    interact
    "

# This whole section is the expect command.
    expect -c "
    set timeout 10
    spawn $ssh $scp_username@$local2IP
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"copy flash: default.cfg scp: $backupserver $scp_username /home/$scp_username/aruba/Aruba_Local2.txt\r\"
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"copy flash: flashbackup.tar.gz scp: $backupserver $scp_username aruba/Aruba_Local2_flash_backup.tar.gz\r\"
    expect -re \"ssword.*\"
    send \"$scp_pw\r\"
    expect -re \"ocal.*\"
    send \"exit\r\"
    interact
    "

# Now update and push the new configs to the subversion repo and do some logging.
    # Some of the logging may be reduced once the script is working properly.
    echo Now starting logging and commit to subversion.
    echo $datestamp > /home/$scp_username/current.log
    $svn add $backupdir/* >> /home/$scp_username/current.log
    $svn status $backupdir > /home/$scp_username/changelist.txt
    $svn commit -m "Automatic backup from script" $backupdir >> /home/$scp_username/current.log
    echo Backup Operation Completed. >> /home/$scp_username/current.log
    cat /home/$scp_username/current.log >> /home/$scp_username/backups.log

• 5.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 01, 2013 11:57 AM

The full flash backup changes every time. Since it can be a bit large (our little college has a 12 meg backup file for the master), you can easily end up putting a lot of data into your subversion folder. May want to consider breaking up the flash backup from the rest of the backup, or reducing the frequency of backups if your config is not changing much.

• 6.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 02, 2013 08:16 AM

For what it's worth we use Rancid.  It connects to the controller and grabs the config the first time and then tracks any changes after that. It would address the large config file and space issues mentioned.  With rancid it also emails us each time there is any config change to note any modifications.  It also includes a web interface to allow you to view the entire config and/or compare the configs on different days/times to see what is different.

FYI,

Ian

• 7.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 03, 2013 10:52 AM

Yeah, I have used Rancid but it's a bit of overkill for what I needed. We're a mostly HP shop aside from the Arubas, and the HP management software (PCM+) automatically pulls and backs up the configs for most of the other network equipment.

Because, of course you must be replying to me since this is now entirely my thread. ;)

• 8.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 04, 2013 01:13 PM

If you're running Airwave as well, Aruba has a script that will ssh to the controllers that the AMP is watching run a flash backup, scp it to the AMP as well as licenses and logs then tar and time stamp the backup.

• 9.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 08, 2013 03:17 AM

Before I try to re-invent the wheel trying to get my airwave to backup my controllers... How do I run this script that is on the airwave?

Thanks!

• 10.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 08, 2013 10:09 AM

I would suggest getting in touch with Airwave support and ask them for a controller back up script, may have to referance the Airwave engineer that wrote it, Ravi Mehra.

• 11.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 08, 2013 10:55 AM

I will do that. Thanks!

• 12.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 08, 2013 05:58 PM

Ravi here.  Thanks for promoting the script Chris!

The script and the documentation for using it is available at Use AirWave script to regularly back up Aruba controllers.  Feel free to reply back or PM me for any questions, comments, or feedback.

• 13.  RE: Automatic backup controller

• 14.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 12, 2013 12:20 PM

Thanks! I will check it out, but is there a reason that the Airwave doesn't capture the controller configs natively? Or am I missing a step here somewhere? I am relatively new to using the Airwave... but being able to backup configurations in case of failure (which has happened to me a couple times already) seems to be a feature that is a must have.

If I am missing a button somewhere to at least capture the configs, can someone guide this poor lost soul to the light? :-)

Ric

• 15.  RE: Automatic backup controller

Posted Apr 15, 2013 09:57 PM

AirWave certainly does capture the controller configuration natively.  AirWave calls this feature "auditing".  AirWave audits each controller's configuration daily and compares it against a reference configuration that is saved per AirWave group.  Devices that have differences between their running config and their group's reference config will show up as "mismatched" and the mismatches can be visually evaluated.  The group's reference configuration can be updated by importing configuration from a device in that group.  Then, If your device loses its configuration, you can place the device in manage mode on AirWave, and the reference configuration saved for the group will get pushed out to the device.  There are many more details in the user guide about how configuration management works in AirWave.  I'd suggest reading through that before placing devices in manage mode.

The script can work in tandem with the AirWave configuration management features.  Although the feature of backing up the configuration is redundant, some users may prefer to have the raw configuration files that the script provides.  Additionally, the script provides a configuration snapshot instead of AirWave's continuous audit.  Similar to how restore points work on a PC, a backup file generated at timestamp X can be used to restore the config from that time.  Keep in mind that the script rotates the backup files so only the last 5 backups are saved by default.