Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

BSSID indicator widget

This thread has been viewed 74 times
  • 1.  BSSID indicator widget

Posted Jan 17, 2020 12:02 PM

from this thread:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-is-the-BSSID-derived-from-the-Access-Point-ethernet-MAC/tac-p/553568

The http://koopen.net/aruba_bssid.php page's certificate seems to have expired...

Any chance the widget could be reposted, or maybe just incorporated into Airwave? 

• 2.  RE: BSSID indicator widget

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2020 12:04 PM

I don't believe this applies anymore to our newer APs, as we no longer derive the BSSID MACs from the wired MAC. 

Nevermind, we do (at least on some of the APs, not sure about single-eth APs or the newer 11ax APs, I will try to check, but generally it's not an officially supported Arbua script, so your mileage may vary.

Are you trying to derive the wired mac from BSS, or the other way? AirWave doesn't do it today, could be an RFE. 

The Koopen site is not Aruba owned so we can't take ownership of the cert.

• 3.  RE: BSSID indicator widget

Posted Jan 24, 2020 02:54 PM
    Sorry, just saw your reply;
    I’m trying to get the BSSID (actually just the last 4 characters), so I can determine which AP is which.

Really leaned on the old koopen page.

Hope this idea can be integrated.

• 4.  RE: BSSID indicator widget

Posted Jan 19, 2020 06:16 PM

If you contact me directly with an email address, I have a spreadsheet that is a little dated, but does the calculations. I'll try to make it generally available, maybe from my website and post the link. I tried to upload it here, but spreadsheet file was not allowed.

• 5.  RE: BSSID indicator widget

Posted Jan 24, 2020 02:55 PM
    Thanks David, I’ll mail you.

• 6.  RE: BSSID indicator widget

Posted Apr 05, 2023 12:15 PM

Here is the way to run it from the command line using cURL (mostly for a reference for myself in the future!):

curl -k https://koopen.net/aruba_bssid.php --data "mac=00:11:22:33:44:55&num_bssid=16"

------------------------------
    ryh

• 7.  RE: BSSID indicator widget

Posted Apr 05, 2023 12:37 PM

And for excel, I followed the TAC guide on how the calculation works, and made an excel formula to calculate 2.4 & 5GHz bssids - but you have to break apart the calculation into chunks since the formula is too long to fit in one cell.  Depending on your Excel version, CONCAT() may be used instead of CONCATENATE().

Assume cell B4 contains the mac address (no colons):
    B4 = 001122aabbcc  //eth0 mac of AP//
    A2 = 4 (my BSSID offset for a particular BSSID in the list of VAPs on the AP group ... starts at 0 and goes to F, allowing 16 BSSIDs.  They are always in order of vaps defined in the ap-group)
    B7 = CONCATENATE(MID($B4,1,6),DEC2HEX(BITXOR(8,HEX2DEC(MID($B4,8,1))))) //first part of the BSSID (OUI) (#1-#6), drop the first HEX (#7) after OUI, and XOR the next HEX char (#8 XOR (1000))//
    B8 = CONCATENATE(MID($B4,9,3),DEC2HEX(SUM(HEX2DEC(MID($B4,12,1)),0)),$A$2) //last half of the BSSID, plus vap_num.  This one is for 2.4GHz band (the add of "0")//
    B9 = CONCATENATE(MID($B4,9,3),DEC2HEX(SUM(HEX2DEC(MID($B4,12,1)),1)),$A$2) //last half of the BSSID, plus vap_num.  This one is for 5GHz band (the add of "1")//

In sum:
    B8 is your BSSID for the vap-num on 2.4GHz band for the AP whose Eth0 MAC is in B4.
    B9 is your BSSID for the vap-num on 5GHz band for the AP whose Eth0 MAC is in B4.

I have yet to look at how this works for a 6GHz (or 60GHz!) radio on the Aruba platform.

==========
    note:
    Since we lose information in this transformation (1 hex at #7, and XOR of hex at #8 potentially mangles 1 bit of information) it may not be possible to reliably reconstruct the Eth0 MAC of the AP.  However, it provides a simple list of possibilities, and a regex search comparison should yield you *likely* only one result from your infrastructure inventory list.

Hope this helps (me in the future)!

ryh