Wireless Access

Highlighted

Re: Band Steering

I wouldn't enable band steering on VoIP WLANs. There is usually enough airtime for all calls and you have less roaming

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Highlighted
Guru Elite

@samuel.perez wrote:

I wouldn't enable band steering on VoIP WLANs. There is usually enough airtime for all calls and you have less roaming

Samuel,

You are right.  Most likely you have your VOIP handsets only connecting to one band, anyway.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted

cjoseph or anyone i got an interrogant

I got APs with dual bands but other with single band by all this campus.

Now i supposing by default for example 105 aps are using BOTH bands at the same time i mean one using 2.4Ghz and theother on the 5Ghz band im correct here?

Now if im correct if i enable band steering well clients that got a capable card will prefer connecting to the 5 ghz band and the other just capable of b/g will connect to the 2.4Ghz band of course if i got band steering on

Now what will happen with single band AP? it wont have any issue if i enable band steering? with which band he will work with? i mean on the configuration i selected all bands... but by default i guess he works on 2.4ghz band right?

Let say its like that if i enable band steering what will happen with that single band AP? it will not apply the band steering setting to it? i mean it will just apply it to dual band APs?

Can i safetly enable band steering  in enviroments in which i got single and dual band aps?

i hope someone can asnwer so i can clearly undesrtand

Cheers and thanks

----------------------------------------------------
Project engineer
Highlighted
Guru Elite

@NightShade1 wrote:

cjoseph or anyone i got an interrogant

I got APs with dual bands but other with single band by all this campus.

Now i supposing by default for example 105 aps are using BOTH bands at the same time i mean one using 2.4Ghz and theother on the 5Ghz band im correct here?

Now if im correct if i enable band steering well clients that got a capable card will prefer connecting to the 5 ghz band and the other just capable of b/g will connect to the 2.4Ghz band of course if i got band steering on

Now what will happen with single band AP? it wont have any issue if i enable band steering? with which band he will work with? i mean on the configuration i selected all bands... but by default i guess he works on 2.4ghz band right?

Let say its like that if i enable band steering what will happen with that single band AP? it will not apply the band steering setting to it? i mean it will just apply it to dual band APs?

Can i safetly enable band steering  in enviroments in which i got single and dual band aps?

i hope someone can asnwer so i can clearly undesrtand

Cheers and thanks

Single Band APs do not participate in band steering, period.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

so for what you told me i can safely turn on band steering and there will be no issue even if i got some APs of single band?

Second question is if i got voip over wireless for what you said up i should turn this off

Would it be okay to turn on then the spectrum load balancer? if i got  wireless VOIP

Project engineer
Highlighted
Guru Elite

@NightShade1 wrote:

so for what you told me i can safely turn on band steering and there will be no issue even if i got some APs of single band?

Second question is if i got voip over wireless for what you said up i should turn this off

Would it be okay to turn on then the spectrum load balancer? if i got  wireless VOIP

There should be no issue, but try not to mix and match single and dual band APs in the same area.

Most VOIP wireless phones are only deployed in a single band at a time, so you should not have to worry about this.

Spectrum Load Balancing is off and you should leave it there unless advised by TAC.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

okay

but i just realize that if i turn that on with voip phones they might get trouble with the phone call as the wirelss phone will try to connect to an ap that maybe is full and it will be denyed to connect for 2 or 3 times maybe that will result while he can connect to a valid ap in a phone disconnect or he will hear the other person his voice cut if you know what i mean while the phone is roaming over aps...

Cjoseph thank you very much! kudos!

Project engineer
Highlighted
All-Decade MVP 2020

I am very interested in adjustimg the Local Probe Request Threshold (currently disabled, or '0') - it seems this is more ekegant than dropping the lower data rates -  but CLI is saying that local-probe-response must be enabled.

(master_controller) (config) #wlan ssid-profile "UMASS-SECURE1X-broadcasted"
   (master_controller) (SSID Profile "UMASS-SECURE1X-broadcasted") #local-probe-req-thresh ?
   <local-probe-req-thre.. The SNR threshold below which incoming probe
                           requests will get ignored (only used if
                           local-probe-response is also enabled)

A few questions:

1.  If local-probe-response is deprecated (I can't enter it as a command in cli) will entering a threshold value do anything?

2.  ould someone verify that  'deny-broadcast-probe-request' is now called (is the the same as) 'deny-bcast' in 6.1.3.2? The GUI refers to it as "Deny_Broadcast Probes"

3.  On both of our our broadcasted SSIDs (.1x and "open") Deny_Broadcast Probes is checked. Should we uncheck this as a general best practice?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Highlighted
Guru Elite

1. local-probe-response is always enabled

2.  It is the same, and its function is to not answer when a clients probes for "any".  It is one method of "hiding" an SSID.

3.  Denying broadcasts is a way of Hiding an SSID, but it can also be used to reduce management traffic overhead.  If it is working because your users configure that SSID manually you can leave it checked.  Some users who just attempt to "see" the SSID without configuring it, will not be able to "see" it to connect to it.  Users who configure it, will be allowed to attach.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
All-Decade MVP 2020

Thanks Colin. I will leave the deny-bcast enabled. Clients by and large are finding our open ssid and we have a config tool to get them set up on the .1x ssid.

Does this mean that I could effectively change the 'local-probe-req-thresh' from a zero value to say, something like 20-25 dB, and this will be honored?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: