Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bandwidth contract and mangement

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Bandwidth contract and mangement

Posted Mar 02, 2012 11:17 AM

In my wireless network, we have master to local controllers setup. local controllers are located in different sites(cities). Each site has different bandwidth usage and size of the pipe goes to internet. The bandwidth contract feature is very usefull here to prevending rogue users using up the internet bandwidth. However, the problem with this feature is so limited. It's a global command. For example, i set the bandwidth contract for 4Mb (up/down) per user base. This may works perfectly for sites with simular bandwidth usage but not for every site. 

Is there any work around that i can apply bandwidth contract per site and per user base? 

• 2.  RE: Bandwidth contract and mangement

Posted Mar 02, 2012 12:16 PM

Just brainstorming here so don't hold me to this.  :)  If each site has it's own RADIUS server you could do something like this:

- Configure the RADIUS server to return a filter-id with the site same.  This would be unique for each site assuming the site has a RADIUS server.

- Based on the filter-id apply a user-role, which will have a unique bandwidth contract for each site.  You can apply this on a "Per AP-Group".

Haven't tried it myself but maybe it points you to some type of workaround.  Let me know what you come up with.  Be interested in knowing this as well.

-Mike

• 3.  RE: Bandwidth contract and mangement

Posted Mar 02, 2012 02:46 PM

unfortunately all controllers use the same radius server. 

• 4.  RE: Bandwidth contract and mangement

Posted Mar 02, 2012 03:53 PM

I know there is a RFE for some type of location mechanism when using multiple RADIUS servers across many sites.  I'm not sure if this is on the roadmap or the status of it.  You may want to reach out to your local Aruba team to see if they can offer more assistance.

One possible workaround is maybe create multiple server groups pointing to the same server, then have multiple derivation rules for each server group.  The derivation rules would be the same with the exception of pointing to a role unique to each site, which would have the bandwidth contract.

Example: 2 sites

- servergroup1 has a derivation rule that points to site1_role

- servergroup2 has a derivation rule that points to site2_role

Each role (site1_role and site2_role) would have a unique bandwidth contract based on the site's capabilities.  Users can login to each site pointing to the same RADIUS server but depending on the site based on the server group, a unique bandwidth contract will be applied.

-Mike

• 5.  RE: Bandwidth contract and mangement

Posted Mar 05, 2012 11:07 AM

Thank you Mike! i have to test this in my lab and see how that works first. 

We are actually getting Amigopod. Do you know if that has bandwidth management built in? 

• 6.  RE: Bandwidth contract and mangement

Posted Mar 05, 2012 12:04 PM

Yes, AmigoPod does have bandwidth management built-in and it's much more flexible as well.

-Mike

• 7.  RE: Bandwidth contract and mangement

Posted Mar 07, 2012 10:14 AM

Thanks again Mike!

I download the Amigo deployment guide. It doesn't said much about bandwidth feature. Do you have any design guide or information relate to Amigo's bandwidth management? 

• 8.  RE: Bandwidth contract and mangement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 07, 2012 11:47 AM

Tary,

Amigopod would send a different radius attribute back to the Aruba controller, depending on the guest and the controller would put the user into a role that limits bandwidth, is how it would work.

Do a search in the Amigopod user guide for "role attributes".  Once Amigopod sends the attribute back, you still have to write a server derivation rule in the Server Group on the Aruba controller to recognize the sent attribute and change the role.