Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Basic profile question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Basic profile question

Posted Sep 27, 2013 03:50 PM

We recently added some AP 93s to our stable of 61s, 105s, and 225s and this is the first set of APs where we have reall yhad to do anything beyond the default settings for our SSID.

I want to have the 93s only broadcast 1 of our SSID's in the a band and not g.  It would be great if the g radio just didn't do anything.

When I have the a radio in default mode and the g radio in default mode, it only uses the g band.  

When I have the a radio in default mode and the g radio an an air monitor, it switches back and forth between the two radios.  Well, the lights on the AP do at least, but this way is not ideal because I don't want it spending any time in the g band.

When I have the a radio in default mode and the g radio turned off, it shows up as being unprovisioned.  Our SSID is allowed to broadcast in both and I don't want a second SSID that only broadcasts to 'a'.

Ideas?  It seems like it should be so simple to tell the AP to use the a radio.

• 2.  RE: Basic profile question

Posted Sep 27, 2013 06:37 PM

You need to put the new single radio APs in their own AP-GROUP.

Once you do that, you will be able to specifically set the radios to always be 5 GHz (aka 'a band')

Ensure you set the following in a NEW PROFILE for the NEW GROUP (i would not modify default-profiles...its too confusing later):

a) Under  802.11a radio profile ..  'radio enable' == enable (checked)

b)  Under 802.11g radio profile ..  'radio enable' == disable (unchecked)

c) Under AP system profile ...  RF Band == a

That last setting may be missing as-is.

Also, you may choose to set a NEW Virtual AP profile for this special/single SSID as follows:

d)  RF Allowed Band == "a"

With all four of these settings all single radios you add to this new AP group have nooooo choice but to use 5GHz.

JF