Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Beacon Management on IAPs

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Beacon Management on IAPs

Posted Apr 11, 2017 11:01 AM

Hi there,

I am going to deploy a cluster of Instant APs 320, and also install some battery-powered. In addition, as you know the APs 320 have built-in beacons, but I have read in the "Aruba Beacons VRD" the following: 

To use the beacon within an AP-320 series AP, that AP must be associated with a 7200 Series or 7000 Series controller running ArubaOS 6.4.4.0 or later.

BeaconMNG.PNG

The cluster will not have a controller and will be self-controlled by a VC, and I don't have an Aruba Sensor either. Then, can't I manage my built-in and battery-powered beacons within my scenario?

Regards,

Julián 

#ArubaTags
    #ALE
    #LocationServices
    #ArubaBeacons

• 2.  RE: Beacon Management on IAPs
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2017 11:56 AM

In the case of Aruba Instant 320 series APs, the instant AP will connect and send beacon data directly to the cloud server and . Note that the only port required to be opened on your firewall is the outbound HTTPS to the Meridian cloud server.

Mininum supported Aruba Instant code is 4.3.0

Regards,

Pavan

If my post address your query give kudos:)

• 3.  RE: Beacon Management on IAPs

Posted Apr 11, 2017 12:16 PM

Hi Pavan,

Valuable information. Do you know how near the IAP and the battery-powered beacons should be?

Regards,

Julián 

• 4.  RE: Beacon Management on IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2017 12:53 PM

Hi Julian,

In an environment with relatively clear line of sight and no obstructions a BLE Beacon can “hear” another BLE Beacon at approximately 75 feet (25 meters).
    For better location accuracy, ensure that successive beacons are placed <=40 ft apart.Beacon distances may vary based on various factors (e.g. path vs. area   model, reflective vs. non. reflective environments, varying ceiling heights, etc.)

Regards,

Pavan

• 5.  RE: Beacon Management on IAPs

Posted Apr 11, 2017 12:57 PM

Many thanks Pavan!

Regards,

Julián