Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Best FREE tools for site survey?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Jul 15, 2009 11:41 AM
    I'd like to know what others are using for site surveys. Because of budget constraints paid versions of software are out of the picture and I would like to make sure our APs are placed well. Here's what I've looked at so far:

Ekahau HeatMapper - doesn't really work well. It says I have full signal outside, when clearly I don't.

Cain and Abel - RSSI updates every 5 seconds, which is nice - but in the long run I don't want to manually record all this.

InSSIDer - Nice piece of software, but again manually recording is a pain

Kismet - again manually recording is a pain

NetSurveyor - What I'm currently using, nice reporting feature, beacon graphing is a little off on some APs.

• 2.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Jul 16, 2009 04:14 AM
    Hello, we use Air Magnet. Best Regards

• 3.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Jul 27, 2009 11:47 AM
    This is another not quite free suggestion, but when doing site surveys with AP-65s we've had great luck using an external 5V pocket-size battery.

We configure our survey APs as remotes and in the VAP profile we add:
    forward-mode bridge
    rap-operation always

which ensures the AP broadcasts the SSID even when it can't talk to the controller.

For batteries we've had good luck with this battery: http://www.bixnet.com/5v7libapa.html, but I'm sure there are others out there that will work as well. Having the flexibility of moving the AP wherever you want and being able to leave it on as you move it around has really sped up our surveys. (It's also a lot lighter than 50 feet of RJ45 :)).

(For survey software we also use the AirMagnet Survey package.)

• 4.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 29, 2009 06:09 PM
    Honestly, we just use Airwave but the free Aruba planner is good as well (but not great). Airwave gets us really close to what we need, and honestly, if we're a little unsure of a coverage area, we purchase a few extra APs.

The cost (man hours and travel) of performing walkthroughs at our sites to get 100% accurate coverage picture would be far more than the cost of a few extra APs.

If you're concerned about containing your signal, forget it, 802.11n is going to thwart you anyway. Comply with 802.11i or WPA2 Enterprise and forget about your signal leakage. Easier said than done, I know.

• 5.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Aug 11, 2009 10:56 AM
    I use the planner to start me off, then I just turn up at the site and walk round with the printout and pencil. I use an AP61 on a tripod and PoE battery pack. Its totally cordless and I use that to work out the best locations. After a while (around 30 sites!) I can pretty much guess where the APs will go!

• 6.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Nov 08, 2010 10:53 AM

, but I'm sure there are others out there that will work as well. Having the flexibility of moving the AP wherever you want and being able to leave it on as you move it around has really sped up our surveys. (It's also a lot lighter than 50 feet of RJ45 :)).

What tip did you use for the AP's with the battery pack? did you have to purchase a special tip or use one meant for another device?

• 7.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Nov 08, 2010 10:59 AM
    On the topic of battery packs for AP operation.

I highly recommend the 3450 model from Tekkeon.

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html

This device provides both +5V and +12V operation (at the same time if you want as well ;)) which means it is versatile to use with any Aruba AP. Keep in mind some Aruba APs take +5VDC and some take +12VDC.

• 8.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Nov 08, 2010 11:35 AM

http://www.tekkeon.com/products-mypowerall.html

This device provides both +5V and +12V operation (at the same time if you want as well ;)) which means it is versatile to use with any Aruba AP. Keep in mind some Aruba APs take +5VDC and some take +12VDC.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will have to check that one out. Did the standard tips pack that came with it have the correct tip for the AP's you use?

I also found this: http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/my/products/xp8000/
    The Energizer one can do both voltages at the same time too. Though I am uncertain if they come with the right tips for an AP-105(12v) or AP-124(5v)

• 9.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Nov 15, 2010 01:25 PM

What kind of time can you get of this; assuming powering an AP-105?

• 10.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Nov 15, 2010 04:28 PM
    I have been able to get routinely around 4 hours of operation with a dual-radio AP (AP-105), and when using a single radio AP (RAP-5) can achieve almost 6 hours.

If you need more 'time' you can either buy two batteries (I have two) or Tekkeon makes a 'stacked' model to daisy chain two power packs together. Great to have on hand.

• 11.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Nov 16, 2010 08:43 AM
    I bought two Tekkeon MP3450's from newegg, one of them was DOA, never powered up unless it was plugged into the wall, which makes it useless cause then its not a battery. I RMA'ed it and going to get a replacement. The other one works fine so far, haven't put it through any kind of stress test to see how long it will last.

• 12.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Jan 12, 2011 11:53 PM

I have been able to get routinely around 4 hours of operation with a dual-radio AP (AP-105), and when using a single radio AP (RAP-5) can achieve almost 6 hours.

If you need more 'time' you can either buy two batteries (I have two) or Tekkeon makes a 'stacked' model to daisy chain two power packs together. Great to have on hand.

jfernyc: Did the Teckon come with a tip that worked on an AP-105?

I use one of these, but they are discontinued....

http://www.duracellpower.com/electronic-chargers/portable-chargers/powersource-mobile-100.aspx

• 13.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Jan 18, 2011 03:17 PM
    Yep the Tekkon has a tip out of the box that worked with the AP-105 and also the AP-124

• 14.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Jan 17, 2012 10:13 AM

Any recomemdation for Ipad? or Android device? 

since they are very portable, it will be very handy for doing survey. :smileywink:

• 15.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Jan 17, 2012 11:50 AM

We were using an IAP-105 for the survey of our new proof of concept lab at Aruba, and it worked pretty well. We were able to mount to the rails and see what the real coverage for the site will be. I'll have a write-up on it next week for this site. We didn't have to use battery power but that's something I'm looking at as it would make the setup more self contained.

As for free tools, http://www.netspotapp.com/ works on the Mac and is free. I've been playing with it and it's not a bad tool. It's not AM, but then it's free. 

-awl

• 16.  RE: Best FREE tools for site survey?

Posted Jan 29, 2012 10:39 AM

Not sure why you had issues with Ekahau (gwilliams). I tested both this tool, and Airmagnet extensively on a few machines with different adapters. Generally Ekahau has the edge in my view, for the simple reason that customer's understand it's output more easily. Airmagnet is great for tech stuff, but it's a bit temperamental at times. I can only assume you had an issue with a specific WiFi nic if your readings were out.

For mobile PoE, I like this unit. It's pretty cool.

http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ip-camera-installation/pointsource.aspx

Enjoy!