Wireless Access

Highlighted
MVP

Best Practice for GoToMeeting, Webex, Skype for business etc.

Hi folks,

I was just wondering what the best practice or recommended settings on the 4030 and 4005 wireless controllers whenever users are using wireless for a lot of online meeting systems such as GoTo, Webex, Skype. 

We have a lot of users who would do this, some complain of the calls dropping out from time to time.  We currently just have the default settings on the controllers for most things and wondered if anyone could recommend some changes to make the call quality more seemless?

Thanks

Contributor II

Re: Best Practice for GoToMeeting, Webex, Skype for business etc.

Hello,

Are users moving around whilst on the meetings, or are they going to be sitting at a desk and not moving?

There are a few things you can change/edit to enhance the performance of roaming, for example, enabling client match, and disabling lower data rates.

If you are planning on not moving around, there should be much reason for clients dropping off so I would recommend, disabling lower data rates, and drop broadcast multicast.

Hope this helps, Please note that these are my opinions, others may have different suggestions,

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Casey
MVP

Hi Ben

Users will mainly be at their desks.

I have already enabled drop the broadcast and multicast traffic.  Should i Enable DMO?

Also in terms of the data rates this is my current setup (attached) does it look ok to you?

Contributor II

Hello,

Sorry for the late response.

I would advise enabling DMO. 

Regarding the Data Rates, They look good, I would personally enable a few higher ones. 

If you are still having this issue. I would advise running a client debug and an AP debug and uploading them here so I can see what is going on.

From your knowledge, is the issue where the client de-authenticates or is the client just losing connection to the internet?

Thanks.

Ben Casey

@scottm wrote:

Hi Ben

Users will mainly be at their desks.

I have already enabled drop the broadcast and multicast traffic.  Should i Enable DMO?

Also in terms of the data rates this is my current setup (attached) does it look ok to you?

Most online conference solutions do not leverage multicast, so DMO probably isn't going to gain anything by itself. If you are aware of higher levels of multicast traffic in the environment, then DMO may be advantageous.

Overall, your data rates look good since you removed the 802.11b rates. Depending on the coverage in the environment and the devices that use the network, you might also remove the 6Mb data rate as well, but I would test first to ensure no issues with client compatibility.

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: