Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

Posted Jun 24, 2013 08:30 AM

Hi!

I´m planning a new wireless network for a campus, we will be using IAP-105 (about 35 of them) in one building. Clients will be mixed but mostly Chromebook and a few PCs and MACs. We have a Windows 2012 NPS server and windows AD. 

I havent used chromebook at all before (have one on order for tryout).

Customer wants one SSID and dynamic assignment (one VLAN for teachers and one for students) depending on authentication of the client. If VLAN assignment could be made based on wich certificate the client have would be great but I´m not sure if this could be possible.

In the future we will add more campus with the same solution (with same NPS servers) 

Anyone with similar solution? How would you do to solve this? All input is wecolme :)

• 2.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2013 09:12 PM

When you say certificates, are you using client-side certificates or just username and password?

If you are just using username and password, you can send back a diffferent radius attribute based on the Active Directory group membership of those users.  Please see the article here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Campus-WLAN-and-High-Density-Wi/Assigning-users-different-vlan-subnet-based-on-AD-group/td-p/59210 for ideas on what you can send back and how.

• 3.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

Posted Jun 25, 2013 12:20 PM

We are going to use client-side certificates, but thank you for the link. I will have a look and hope my chromebook arives soon so I can try out a good solution :smileywink:

• 4.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 25, 2013 08:32 PM

Well, do you already have client-side certificates working without the Chromebooks?  If you do, the NPS server would still allow you to use a Windows Group of the username in the Certificate to send back an attribute.

We have Chromebooks working with PEAP, but maybe someone can chime in on using TLS with chromebooks....

• 5.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

Posted Jul 01, 2013 06:48 PM

Hello,

We are deploying Chromebooks at our school as well. When we had our initial deployment of devices, I had 25 chromebooks in a room with one IAP-105. I can't tell you exactly why, but it performed horribly. The chromebooks were losing their connections left and right. I finally unplugged the AP and went with a different vendor for the day. The other vendors had very slow connections, but at least they did not drop the connection all together.

I am now ordering an IAP-135, hoping that the additional antennas and streams will help out with the density of devices. For anyone wondering, the IAP-105 was the only access point running at the time, and it was located hanging from the ceiling in the center of the room.

My takeaway from testing Chromebooks is that they are very, very bandwidth needy, expecially at startup.

If anyone has had a different experience with Chromebooks (Samsung XE303), I'd love to hear it! I really want Aruba to work!

Good luck!

• 6.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2013 06:52 PM

@Cinruskin wrote:

Hello,

We are deploying Chromebooks at our school as well. When we had our initial deployment of devices, I had 25 chromebooks in a room with one IAP-105. I can't tell you exactly why, but it performed horribly. The chromebooks were losing their connections left and right. I finally unplugged the AP and went with a different vendor for the day. The other vendors had very slow connections, but at least they did not drop the connection all together.

I am now ordering an IAP-135, hoping that the additional antennas and streams will help out with the density of devices. For anyone wondering, the IAP-105 was the only access point running at the time, and it was located hanging from the ceiling in the center of the room.

My takeaway from testing Chromebooks is that they are very, very bandwidth needy, expecially at startup.

If anyone has had a different experience with Chromebooks (Samsung XE303), I'd love to hear it! I really want Aruba to work!

Good luck!

@Cinruskin,

Did you configure Broadcast Filtering on the SSID that you created on the IAP105?  Did you configure Band Steering?  Both of those could improve performance.

• 7.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

Posted Jul 01, 2013 06:55 PM

No, and no! Newbie here!

Thanks for those suggestions. Is the 135 capable of maintaining more connections with devices in your opinion, or will it matter?

Thanks for the assist!

• 8.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 01, 2013 06:59 PM

The AP105 should be able to allow 25 Chomebooks to connect.  At the 25-device level in the same room, there should not be a significant difference between the AP135 and the AP105.  At higher densities, (depending on your environment) there will be a difference.

• 9.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

Posted Aug 23, 2013 04:36 PM

I have the same issue with limited connectivity of devices.  There are 2 seperate SSID's, one private and one public.  The public has bandwidth filtering on it.  If I have more than 25 devices trying to connect to a single AP105 on either or both networks, anything over 25 will not connect.  As soon as we disable 2 devices that are connected then 2 more devices connect.  I have the default of 64 connections, enabled broadcast filtering, and configured band steering.  If anyone has a solution to this problem I need to know it.  Thanks in advance

• 10.  RE: Best Practices deploying campus network with IAP-105 and chromebooks?

Posted Aug 14, 2014 03:11 PM

We just started using Chromebooks with the 105's.  Besides the settings of Broadcast filtering set to all and bandwidth steering set to force 5ghz, is there anything else I should be looking for to improve connectivity?