Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Best practise deployment for 11 sites

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Best practise deployment for 11 sites

Posted Aug 30, 2016 06:23 AM

Hi guys,

Would I be right in saying if we have a client with 11 sites, and each site has around 70 AP's, that we put a pair of masters at the head office (with a pair of locals for their 70 AP's), and then at each of the other locations we put a pair of locals, which link back to the masters at the head office.  With centralised licences distributed out to all sites from the pair of masters at head office?

Many thanks,

Jamie.

• 2.  RE: Best practise deployment for 11 sites

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2016 06:36 AM

You would put a pair of controllers at each site if you wanted full N+1 redundancy at each site; but that could get very expensive if you don't need full redundancy.

It is a best practice to use centralized licensing when using redundancy, so that you only pay once for redundant licenses.

• 3.  RE: Best practise deployment for 11 sites

Posted Aug 30, 2016 06:43 AM

Thanks for the reply Colin.  So if they didn't require N+1 redundancy at the local sites, would they just use a single local controller linking back to the pair of masters at head office?  What if the local controller fails?  In this scenario of 70 AP's at each site, which controller would you recommend as the maters, and which as the locals?  I was going to configure it so the masters don't terminate any AP's and so the head office will also have local controllers to terminate their 70 AP's.

Thanks,

Jamie.

• 4.  RE: Best practise deployment for 11 sites
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2016 06:51 AM

1.  If they didn't require local redundancy or local redundancy is not worth it, yes, they would have a single local controller connected back to a master/backup master pair.

2.  If the local controller fails, nothing would work at that site, so if local redundancy is important, they would need a second controller at that site. 

3.  The7205 could be the master/backup master in this scenario.

4.  Your design seems to be solid.

• 5.  RE: Best practise deployment for 11 sites

Posted Aug 30, 2016 07:47 AM

Excellent, thank you Colin :)  I assume I could also use the 7205 for the local's too?

Jamie.