Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 10, 2012 05:50 PM

We have 2 of the 650 controllers and will be placing one in each of our data centers. We will have rap's setup in our sales office. There is an mpls network between all sites so they can all talk internally. I want to have one of the controllers setup as primary and the other setup as backup, so that if the primary fails the rap's will failover to the other controller. Anyone have this setup and what is the best way for me to accomplish this?

Note that I have one of the controllers setup as master role in one data center at this time and am about ready to go install the rap's in the sale office.

• 2.  RE: Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 10, 2012 06:05 PM

Along5664, 

This is a very common setup, two concepts that need to be implemented:

- The "master" variable that you configure on the RAPs should be a hostname that resolves to both controllers

- In the RAP's AP-Group make sure you set the lms-ip and bkup-lms-ip in the AP System Profile

These concepts and the overall design are discussed in the VBN VRD found here:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/VBN_VRD.pdf

• 3.  RE: Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 10, 2012 08:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to sync the configs between the controllers? Or do I have to setup each one seperate?

• 4.  RE: Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 10, 2012 08:16 PM

In a mastre local configuration all changes will be made to the master and they will automagically be synced over to the local.

• 5.  RE: Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 11, 2012 09:21 AM

Harold,

Does this apply to RAP whitelist as well?

Thanks,

Nick

• 6.  RE: Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 11, 2012 10:13 AM

Nick, 

The whitelist is NOT sync'ed between a master and a local.  You can export it and import it into the local and tell the local to use the database, but further updates would have to be done in both locations manually or through Airwave.  An alternative is to implement a backup master at this point.  

Regards, 

Austin

• 7.  RE: Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 11, 2012 02:32 PM

I have this setup exactly and I use a master and master-standy configuration.  I have an L2 GRE tunnel between the two to extend a VLAN and to be able to use VRRP for a master/standby setup.

You get the usual config sync and you also get the benefit of RAP whitelist sync that you won't get in a master/local setup.  Some don't like GRE tunnels, but they've been around since most of those folks were on their paper route.

• 8.  RE: Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 11, 2012 02:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have setup in the master/local setup. All is good. 

• 9.  RE: Best way to setup two controllers in seperate data centers

Posted Jan 11, 2012 03:34 PM

Be careful with a master/local configuration, there are caveats and situations that can lead to undesirable results.  You may want to run your setup by your SE before you get too far in.