Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Big subnet and Vlan poolin

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Big subnet and Vlan poolin

Posted Sep 12, 2012 05:54 PM

Okay let say i got  a big subnet a /22

and  i drop  broadcast  traffic and multicast  it doesnt matter how big is the subnet ? does it has performance issues even if i drop  Broadcast and multicast?  let say if i got a big broadcast domain like a /22 or /20? if they got performance issue which would be and why?

The vlan poolin does help with this... i know but im  just wondering becasue i read that bigger subnet are okay if you drop broadcast and mulsticast.

• 2.  RE: Big subnet and Vlan poolin

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2012 08:49 PM

There is also ARP and DHCP renewal traffic that is still passed through, though, so you still want to watch the size of your subnet.

• 3.  RE: Big subnet and Vlan poolin

Posted Sep 12, 2012 08:58 PM

Collin Thanks for your reply like always!

i always use Vlan poolin when i can

I just wanted to understand what could happen if i did a big subnet  but did drop broadcast and multicast to help with the big subnet

Okay so besides that

1-DHCP renewal traffic in one Network

2-Arp  renewal traffic

Besides that in what else could a vlan poolin  be a better option?

I ask because  there are other wireless solution which does not have this feature but can do the drop broadcast and multicast and they claim its not necesary the vlan poolin cause of it.

And i was wondering if there something else i could say asides that?

Aruba does many things that the other cant but just focusing in this topic is there something else or that would be it?

• 4.  RE: Big subnet and Vlan poolin

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2012 09:25 PM

- Devices in the same subnet contend for the same resources, whether it be for airtime, ARP, DHCP, etc, so those still need to be at a manageable size.

- In addition, problems are frequently confined to the same layer 2 subnet, so if you use multiple subnets, if you have a problem with a single subnet it can be isolated and you still have the use of the other subnets.

- If you use a single subnet and you have many devices with static addresses, you have many more devices to change if you decide to make a change later.

Even if we can assure that broadcasts will not be a problem, multiple subnets offers the best flexibility to be able to manage a network, period.

• 5.  RE: Big subnet and Vlan poolin

Posted Sep 12, 2012 09:35 PM

Thanks for your words Collin! undersrtood! :)