Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Blackberry Error when loading Captive Portal Page

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Blackberry Error when loading Captive Portal Page

Posted Mar 06, 2012 02:43 PM

Has anyone had trouble getting blackberries to work with Captive Portal Authentication hosted on the Aruba Controller?

My test blackberries are configured to notify about the available hotspot.  When directed to the Captive portal, the blackberries issue the below errors which suggest they have an issue with the URL:

"The protocol specified is not support by the handheld.  Please try a different URL" for blackberry 9800 running 6.0 version of the OS 

"Invalid Address: "https://securelogin.arubanetworks.com/upload/custom/Guest-Captive-Profile/cp.htm?cmd=login&mac=40:00:00:34:62:b2&ip=192.168.11.223&essid=CompanyAA&2DGuest%00%00%00%00%00%00&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eblackberry%2Ecom%2Fselect%2fwifiloginsuccess%2F". for blackberry curve 8130

We are using a custom captive portal page that provides public access with just an Accept button.  We have also tested this with the default captive portal page, and an older authenticated captive portal setup working on ArubaOS 6.0.

We are currently running on Aruba 6000 with Aruba OS 6.1.3.

All other devices (PC/Mac laptops, iOS, Android) are working fine.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Blackberry Error when loading Captive Portal Page
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 09, 2012 01:51 PM

Hello,

We ran into this after we upgraded to 6.1.3.0, we believe. Certain Blackberry OS's don't seem to like the redirection URL that the controller passes back to the device. We found BB OS 6 worked, while 5 and 7 don't. Also, we have one SSID that is a single character/letter that has the issue while another SSID that has 8 characters works fine on the BB.

Aruba/Amigopod TAC is doing some testing and investigating.

Thanks,
    Bryan

• 3.  RE: Blackberry Error when loading Captive Portal Page

Posted Mar 13, 2012 12:54 PM

We have also come across this issue with ArubaOS 6.1.3.0 and Amigopod providing the Guest Solution.  Initially I thought it was due to the SSL123 certificates we installed (which is a whole other story) but it does look to be down to something with the redirect.

Please update this thread if TAC does come back to you.

• 4.  RE: Blackberry Error when loading Captive Portal Page
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 09:19 AM

TAC said it will be fixed in 6.1.3.2.  The issue is:

"We found the root cause for this issue where the controller is adding variables to URL encoding which breaks the re-direction URL. We had raised this issue to Engineering team and this will fixed on 6.1.3.2 which is not yet released.
    However,  we have a work around to increase the characters in the range of  2 + (n * 3) characters, e.g. "AB", "ABCDE", "ABCDEFGH".  This will make sure the URL encoded info lands on a complete %00 which is a valid URL encoded value."

So, it depends on the length of your SSID.  Our SSID that has one character has the problem, but another SSID that is 11 Chars long falls within the 2+(n+3) so that one works. 

• 5.  RE: Blackberry Error when loading Captive Portal Page

Posted Mar 19, 2012 10:15 AM

Thanks Bryanc,

That solved our problem.  I also had a dash in the SSID which was causing problems even when the number of characters conformed with the formula (3*n)+2.  I tested with an 8 character SSID without a dash and it worked.  Doubting that it could be this simple, I added another character the the SSID (making it 9 chars) and tested again and it failed.   I'll test it again when they release 6.1.3.2.

Cheers,

• 6.  RE: Blackberry Error when loading Captive Portal Page

Posted Mar 20, 2012 08:37 AM

One of our SSIDs has a dash in it also.  At first we couldn't figure out why this SSID worked because it added up to 9 characters.  Later, we learned that a dash gets URL encoded to something that counts as two characters, so their formula does apply.